Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Why bear hunt?

Old 04-18-2007, 10:35 AM

Default Why bear hunt?

I'm new to colorado and my hunting doors have opened, from the tradutional whitetail and turkey to a plethera of game. I'm very anxious to start elk hunting in a few years as well as mule deeer and possibly moose. i just don't understand why people bear hunt. it jsut seems like you wait in a stand and shoot it when it comes to the bait. i may be missing something and probably am, but why do you bear hunt. can you eat the meat, i've been told it's bad and has a high probability of having worms or parasites.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Why bear hunt?

It's illegal to bair bear in CO. for starters. And someone has to manage the herd.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:20 PM

There are more ways to hunt bear than sitting on a stand. Spot and stalk is the best way in my mind. But, you are right about the meat. It is very nasty and I won't eat it, I guess thats why I've never went on a bear hunt. I've carried bear tags on other hunts, just on the occurence that I ran across a nice one though.

I guess most hunt them for the same reason they hunt other game.... for the sport, comradery, and love of the outdoors. Lets be honest, very few of us actually hunt because we need the meat to survive. With the cost of hunting these days there is much cheaper sources of protein. We hunt for various reason. We hunt to pass on traditions handed down to us. We hunt to be closer to god. We hunt to spend "quality time" with our kids (shaking your kids hand after he bagged his first buck should be the difinition of quality time.) We hunt to feel free. The hunt to escape the trappings of modern life. We hunt to feel a part of nature. We hunt because it is our natural insticnt to be predators. Some of us hunt for the glory of entering the animal in record books. Others hunt simply to kill. No one answer will suffice for all. The question should be "why do I want to Hunt?" That is more important.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:27 PM
Typical Buck

Baiting isn't easy or just shooting bears.Carrying 45 gal barrels and several hundred lbs of bait 1/4mile or more on your back if you don't own a quad.Then spend hours in a treestand in freezing sleet and rain waiting for one to show up.The big one's will circle a bait site trying to wind you and chances are only come in after it's too dark to shoot.Because you see a bear doesn't mean you have to shoot it.Be selective .Shooting a deer from a planted field with crops in it is a form of baiting isn't it?You shouldn't look down on people than enjoy hunting with hounds either.Pick any legal style of hunting you enjoy and have fun thats the whole idea.Don't knock it till you've tried it...................Harold
Old 04-18-2007, 01:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Pioneer2

Baiting isn't easy or just shooting bears.Carrying 45 gal barrels and several hundred lbs of bait 1/4mile or more on your back if you don't own a quad.Then spend hours in a treestand in freezing sleet and rain waiting for one to show up.The big one's will circle a bait site trying to wind you and chances are only come in after it's too dark to shoot.Because you see a bear doesn't mean you have to shoot it.Be selective .Shooting a deer from a planted field with crops in it is a form of baiting isn't it?You shouldn't look down on people than enjoy hunting with hounds either.Pick any legal style of hunting you enjoy and have fun thats the whole idea.Don't knock it till you've tried it...................Harold
... because it is so darn fun!
and it definately is alot of work. I is not quite as easy as it looks and it is a very good way to manage a local bear heard... selective harvest.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:17 PM

i understand thw whole in it for the hunt, i bowhunt and have for years. i have hunted whitetails one year with a rifle and there is almost mo skill in it. I know you can call and rattle and do a whole bunch of things and i know i am going to get a lot of bad posts from this but you just wait till they come into view and shoot them, they could be 200+ yards away and it's called hunting. I'd much rather call one into bow range, that's hunting seeing the whites of there eyes, afraid that they might hear the sound of your heart beating out of your chest.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:24 PM
Typical Buck

It's all hunting, so pursue what gives you the most satisfaction.No harm no foul...................Good Hunting.....Harold
Old 04-18-2007, 06:12 PM
Fork Horn

bear meat is really good actually........
Old 04-18-2007, 06:24 PM
Dominant Buck

I hunt deer, turkey and small game but I leave the bears alone. Fun to watch for me and I see lots of them. I just never had the urge to kill one and I don't care for the meat. They do need management though so it is important that they are killed by some hunters.
Old 04-18-2007, 06:56 PM

Bear meat isn'tmuch more dangerous then pork. If you cook it properly you will have nothing to worry about. Bear meat is actually very good eating as well.

Quick Reply: Why bear hunt?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.