Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Bear Safety

Old 04-14-2007, 07:30 AM
Fork Horn

Default Bear Safety

Hey all, I was wondering a bit about Bear safety, lately we are getting quit the population of Black Bears in CT, and I was Wondering does anyone have any Words of Wisdom reguarding avoiding Bear encounters ?? The reason I ask Is mainly because my sister loves to fish on the CT/MA line where there is a probrably the largest area of bears between the 2 states, I was thinking would a noise maker like a Bell pinned to her fishing vest help prevent possible encounters.? because they'd hear her comming and hopfully run before they see each other? I have seen 4 last year how ever I make it a point to make lots of noise when I fish the rivers and all the ones I saw where making a straight B line away from me. But I can just see my sis tip-toeing to the next pool and to see a bear at close range!she is tiny and walks very lightly so she would probrably look like a snack to a bear lol. SO if anyone has any feed back it would be greatly appriciated.
Thank YOu
John
Old 04-14-2007, 07:52 AM

Default RE: Bear Safety

No need to worry. Black bears are more afraid of you. But if you feel the need, then a bell or two might put you at ease and make her comfortable. No sense spending time outdoors if you are nervous or tense.
Old 04-14-2007, 12:16 PM

bear srray or a 12 gauge with 00 buck! but billy is right they are more scared of you
Old 04-14-2007, 01:53 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the info I am actually more concerned for my sister who likes to fish alone in bear country
Old 04-14-2007, 05:11 PM
Fork Horn

Just make a point not to get between mon n cubs! At that point, retreat slowly.Son any myself have had several bear encounters....have yet to have to kill one.
Dan

Old 04-14-2007, 05:57 PM

http://www.udap.com/safety.htm

Old 04-16-2007, 08:20 PM

Ruger Super Redhawk? seriously, lots of noise to warn them. if approached by one it'd be best to try to make herself look bigger, spread her arms out and if she hasa pack or somethin maybe hold it over her head. but remember usually when a blackbear does charge or attack if it plans on tackling you it probably won't stop until you are digested. would she be comfortable carrying a peace for worst case scenario?
Old 04-18-2007, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think it's wise to be prudently concerned. I wouldn't let it stop you or her from going out to enjoy your outdoor sports.
You're right I think that in most cases when a black bear hears you coming from a distance, they'll avoid you and go the other way.
The concern is you obviously don't ever want to surprise a sow and cubs or an old bore that has lost it's fear of people (e.g. been around campgrounds, dumps, etc.)
Check with the companies who make bear spray that is often carried by people in Grizzly / Brown bear country, whether it is an effective deterant for Black bears, too. I honestly don't know.
The bad part about Black bears is that unlike Grizzly bears, where you mightin an emergency be able to climb a fir tree high enough to get away from a grizzly, if you had time, even big Black bears climb very well.
I personally think buying and learning to use an adequate sidearm is the best solution, if it's that much of a concern and it's possible.