Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Calling Black Bears

Old 04-06-2007, 09:37 PM
Fork Horn

Default Calling Black Bears

Recently I purchased a bear grunt call and calling DVD by Woodswise. This technique sounds interesting, and I am looking forward to trying it out this spring. Has anyone had any experience with this or similar calls? If so, what do you think?
Old 04-07-2007, 06:43 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Calling Black Bears

Never heard of a bear grunt call but some guys use fawn in distress calls/varmint calls etc.......They make a bear cub in distress call thats suposed to get the boars in predatory mode.If calling bears you might want to hunt with a partner sitting back to back because they are looking to either steal or make a kill when they respond and it don't hurt to have all the angles covered.I'm setting out baits on Sunday here in Alberta.......Harold
Old 04-08-2007, 05:52 PM
Fork Horn

I have used one lots....it works, especially in June in Saskatchewan.

One time particular, using the challenge grunt, a dominant bear that I had been getting nocturnal pics on the trail cam....lost his inhibitions, and charged into the bait site...and was gone just as quick..IT was wild to see.

After proving that it works, I always call every 2 hours while sitting..

Learn the calls from your DVD...they work.
Old 04-08-2007, 06:09 PM

I have seen the video and I think it could work. I usually use predator or fawn distress calls.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:07 PM

I have used distress calls for Bear and you want to set up in an area where you have a ton of visibility. These bears are coming in for a meal, and they know they are going to have to make a kill. While they are assuming it is a small fawn, deer, or other animal they will not hesitate to be very aggressive. Do not attempt to call bears with a bow unless you are in a tree stand. Do not attempt to call bears while alone, or in heavy timber! I am a big fan of the Wayne Carlton Bear call and the Sceery Bear Call. If you start calling do not stop until you are ready to quit. Bears will handle very short stops in calling but prefer it nonstop. The first time I called I got light headed because I did not breath enough, blow softly and hard occasionally when needed but don't hyperventilate like I did.

Have fun with it!

I am going to pick up this bear grunt.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:25 PM

Bear Calls Link

I think I am going to pick up a couple for my hunt with Horn's Whitetail Adventures in less then 45 days! Can you tell I am extremely excited!

Old 04-09-2007, 08:20 PM
Fork Horn

That's basically what my research on the call stated. The larger more dominant boars that may be nocturnal on a bait will often respond to the bear grunt, thinking that another bear is on the bait first. One particular outfitter (from Canada) purchases a call for each of his clients. Teaching the clients to use the call has improved his kill ratio on mature boars significantly.

We spot and stalk mostly, but I bait over in Idaho some. Can't wait to see how the bears respond. I'll take some video, but given my lack of understanding of posting pics on this site, don't expect wonders.