Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Drop Camps

Old 03-28-2007, 12:35 PM

Default Drop Camps

Need to know your thoughts on drop camps and recommended outfitters that provide this service. Elk and Mule deer are what we're interested in.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:45 AM

Default RE: Drop Camps

Nobody knows anything about drop camps or have never used an outfitter to take them to a drop camp?
Old 03-29-2007, 08:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Since they are normally on public land, why pay? That is my thought.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:49 AM
Fork Horn

Go here and make some phone calls or send some emails.

http://www.meekerchamber.com/outfitters.htm
Old 03-29-2007, 11:43 AM

Thanks guys.
Old 03-29-2007, 09:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I did my 1st Colorado archery fully guided hunt this past fall. I had a great time. Sometimes our guide took us back to a drop camp late morning, to start a fire in stove, warmup, eat our lunches, nap. The drop camps were just a basic outfitter style tent, woodstove, put together tables, and plenty of cots. They also had all the kit & cooking needs in them. From my experience I'd definitly have NO problem doing a drop camp hunt with this outfitter someday. Its less than half the price of a fully guided hunt. But you do have to bring your own food, and do your own camp chores. Which I wouldn't mind. The way I see it if your a non-resident, only visit Colorado ever so many yrs., don't want to invest the $ into all the base/spike camp needs, plus all the extra work of setting up, packing in & out. A drop camp is the way to go. The other advantage is its gets you way back in, where most do it yourselfers can't access w/o horses & mules. Outfitters pack in & out all your gear & food. I asked this same question once a couple yrs ago doing my own research. I was told most Outfitters place drop camps where the not so good hunting is, they save the better spotsfor the guided hunts. Well with this Outfitter I found that to be NOT TRUE. We hunted areas that had drop camp setups w/o any hunters in them at the time.1 day we even hunted a area with a drop camp nearby that had hunters in it. We stopped in first, the guide knew the hunters well, regulars. We shared info, and went out to hunt that evening.
The Outfitter I hunted with is www.winterhawk.com
Old 03-30-2007, 06:35 AM
RMA
Fork Horn

I would call Crazy Horse Outfitters here in CO. He's a GREAT guy and will treat you like family. Tell them we sent you.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:02 PM

Hunters,

Here is my opinion on drop camps. It is truly my opinion and mine alone so take what you can use and throwaway the rest. Drop camps are usually placed in areas where the outfitter does not feel the best animals are in a given area. If the outfitter believed that specific drop camp had true potential the outfitter himself would have guides and a full camp at that location because that is how is how he makes his money. On average drop camps are no where near as a successful as a fully guided hunt. While drop camps are significantly cheaper then fully guided hunt and because of this outfitters do not make a ton of money on drop camps. Now I clearly state that not all outfitters behave this way, there are some great outfitters out there and some really great drop camp locations.

If you really want to hunt in a drop camp, with no guides then here are my suggestions.

1. Pick an area that you really want to hunt. DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH! Call the Forest Service and the local Fish and Game. Speak to the local biologist in the area and get tons of recommendations on units and where to find game.

2. Buy the maps and use google maps to get aerial maps of the location and take a look at the terrain and the drainages in that area. Find an area as far back as you can from the road and with the most potential.

3. Call all of the outfitters in that area and tell them where you want to hunt. As well check into packing services in that area. A lot of times, you can buy your own gear and have a service pack it in for you for the cost of a good drop camp hunt.

4. Carry a Sat phone and great first aid kit into camp with you! Be prepared for an emergency, should one occur.

5. Get a contract in writing from the outfitter or packing group.

6. Get back there for 7-9 days and take your time learning the area, have fun and hunt hard!

As I come up with more, I will place them up on my website!