Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

NM Oryx logistics? Help!

Old 03-12-2007, 06:48 AM

Default NM Oryx logistics? Help!

My friend and I drew Feb 2008 Oryx tags!

The logistics for the short/fly-in hunt are the issue.
We are planning to fly out and rent a truck or larger size SUV
1) Getting the animal off the base for photos is important. Do you stash it (gutted) in the vehicle and keep hunting for our 2nd animal?

2) Is there meat processing available nearby that would handle this and the UPS overnight shipping/or other carrier cold storage shipping?

3) Can you recommend a competent taxidermist for caping and salting for shipment back to MI? I would prefer having my taxidermist do the mounting.
I appreciate your help!

Bill in MI
Old 03-12-2007, 10:22 PM
Spike

Default RE: NM Oryx logistics? Help!

Hey Bill I grew up in New Mexico, and my brother and his son just went oryx hunting the last two years, so they know all the in's and out's. I also plan to apply for that hunt this next year. If you want to e-mail me, I can probably hook you up with one of them and they should be able to answer most of your questions. My e-mail address is [email protected] My name is Buddy
Old 03-13-2007, 05:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Bill I used Coopersmith Inc Global Logistics to get my African Capes from Namibia, they were excellent, the did all the import paper work and delivered the hides to the tannery in Michigan. I highly recommend this co and if you like pm me and I give you the info. I also have a great Taxidermist here in the milwaukee area that does 90% african mounts and is one of the best in the states! He will handle alot of the leg work and also deals with the tannery there in Michigan! He did my Kudu, Hartebeest and 2 Gemsbok! He deals with people all over the world, very reasonable as well!

I would love to help you out on this! PM me!

Joe b!
Old 03-13-2007, 06:15 PM
Spike

1) Getting the animal off the base for photos is important. Do you stash it (gutted) in the vehicle and keep hunting for our 2nd animal?

There is a meat processor right at the gate. I would go out turn it over to him and take my pictures there and go back to hunting. this takes care of one and two. One of the taxidermists will hold your camera for you.

2) Is there meat processing available nearby that would handle this and the UPS overnight shipping/or other carrier cold storage shipping?

Answered above

3) Can you recommend a competent taxidermist for caping and salting for shipment back to MI? I would prefer having my taxidermist do the mounting.

There will be three or four taxidermists there and they can all do that it would not be a problem.

I guide on the range. If you have any other questions write me and I will tell you the solution or offer solutions to you.

Old 03-13-2007, 07:12 PM

Thank you for the info, I'm compiling all the data across the sites I post on!!

Thx again!
Bill in MI