Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Wolves: Mother's Nature's Revenge >

Wolves: Mother's Nature's Revenge

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Wolves: Mother's Nature's Revenge

Old 03-06-2007, 09:22 PM

Default RE: Wolves: Mother's Nature's Revenge

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

I'm kinda thinking our "grandfather's selfish acting and thinking" (read "get-the-friggin'-job-done") accounts for how we won two world wars each in less than 4 years....
What exactly does winning two wars have to do with wolves?

To bad we couldn't keep t-rex around to.
Humans didn't attempt to exterminate T-Rex.

When are you guys going to come to thepainfully obvious realization that the attemptedextermination of wolves, or any other animal, will get you absolutely no where with anyone except yourselves.

Like it or not the "touchy-feely, politically correct, goody-two-shoes, be-all-things-to-all-people folks" are always going to be there to bring them back againjust as soon as you get done killing them off again. You people are either going to learn to live with the wolves in some capasity or you, your kids, etc... are going to continue to waste time, resources, andmoney trying to kill them all off again. And guess what?????? It will all be for nothing cause it will never happen again.

Big Bulls: Seeming how you do not live in wolf country...you should not be commenting the way that you are.

I have been witness to these animals and what they can do

I watched in horror as on clung to a healthy cow's nose as another of the deer sized dog was tearing at her underbelly. They DO NOT just kill the weak and the sick and the old. They kill healthy adult animals in the heard.

I watched a video that a guide had taken in what used to be some of the best elk hunting in the world as the wolves ran in and would kill the cows as they were attempting birth and were vulnerable. If the cow did happen to give birth, the wolves would just kill the calf that was defenseless....it was a reflex killing...they did not use it for food.

I have seen our elk herds demish rapidly while the wolves increased their numbers. You cannot archery hunt like you used to as the elk don't talk anymore.

These are trivial things compared to what my next stories are...

I have friends that have been attacked while cougar hunting with their dogs. The wolves are so territorial that they kill any other canids in the woods as soon as they know they are their. I have picture of a friend's dogs that were killed in his back yard by wolves, the two dogs were still on their chains when my friend found them in the morning when he went to feed them. Put yourself in his shoes.

These killings and attacks are not rare...if you go to cdapress.com you can find a story that was recently put in the paper where three hounds were attacked and killed only three miles from a small town.

Mark my words, wolf populations have never been as high as they are, in as dense of a human population. A young kid will be walking the family dog on a camping trip or on the outskirts of a small town and will be killed...it is only a matter of time.

The government has made us powerless to control the population of wolves, and they are wreaking havoc on so many lives, and so many passions in peoples lives.

Big Bulls...imagine your favorite hunting grounds, in a matter of two years not having any more big bulls in it. This happens, it is not me exaggerating, it is not me being an extremist...plain and simple...I have seen it.

I am trying to get ahold of a home video my dad's friend had shown me of two archery hunters from oregon, this was in late september,(my dad's friends knew them and had borrowed the tape before they had flown home)having a six point come into their bugle. The bull had come within 50 yards of them when a wolf jumped off an embankement and attack the bull...as the first wolf hit the strong adult and healthy bull, five more rushed in and ended up killing the animal as the hunters videotaped it. They were getting up to leave and go back to their atv's when the wolves heard them. On video the taped the wolves moving in on them. They ended up back on their ATV's and shot behind them as the wolves one in the road getting their attention and then two from the left and three from the right jumped on the road after they had ridden to a safe distance.

It's an unbelievable story, and I don't like to tell it because it is. But the video I watched was clear as day and I am desperately trying to get in contact to the owner of the video to post it on the internet as an awareness tape.

Until you see these things...please hold judgement on us. I don't think you are wrong or you are a bad person or anything even close. I just think you should avoid pointing fingers and accusing of us and telling us what kind of people we are until your life has changed because of wolves. The one thing I know and love, and live for is hunting/hiking/camping/shooting/fly fishing and all of these things have changed for me because they decided to put these noxious animals into my state.

~Cam

Old 03-06-2007, 09:47 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: tangozulu

The wolf is an incredable animal. Nice to see them back where they belong.
A mute point perhaps but the Brits and French pretty well had the Germans on the ropes in WW1 before America showed up. It was the Russians who beat them in WW2.

wolves are incredible animals, but there place in populated areas no longer exists.

and here is a history lesson for you, the British and FrenchDIDN'Thave the Germans number, they fought for three years before the US showed up and in a year and half of the US being involved the war was over.

inWW2i dont remember the Russians taking backFrance, Italy and North Africa, orhaving any involvement in the Pacific Campaign.i'mpretty sure that was all the US.

so back to wolves, yeah you have wolves in canada...great. butidaho needs todeal with wolvesour way, and montana, wyoming, and minnesota can do the same. but what works in some places like Canada won't work here, if they did our grandfathers wouldn't of had to kill them off the first time. now its time to learn from this involuntary mistake and bring the wolf numbers back to where they should be.

Old 03-06-2007, 09:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Killer_Primate

There is a cycle that all animals go through, but I forget what it is called. But, it starts off with low population when compared to the food sources. Then it balances out and there is just enough to go around (this is where good hunting practices should be employed) and finally the next stage is not enough food for the population, sickness/disease set in and get the numbers back to where they should be.

My question is - why do we need to play god? Let nature work its course, and hunt them if you like. But do it in a manner that will actually help them. If anyone is over populated it is us. Can we not look inward? Do we not find comfort in the truth?

If you were to figure out what the top one hundred dangers were in the forest, and then eliminate them, you would not have fixed the forest. You would have ruined it!
I want to repeat, I believe in strong management!We need to protect our communities, livestock, and mainly our children from these professional killers. When something is bad you deal with it! **ck being politically correct(I'm not talking about breaking the law).

KP, Find comfort in this truth! What do you think the top one hundred dangers to our children are?What is your opinion on child molesters? Should we let them in the playground?
Old 03-06-2007, 10:11 PM

I'm digging caseless' statement about sick of being PC....I'm sick of it too....I want the best for my future family, for my hunting grounds, my well being and the well being of my fellow hunters and their already born children.....and the wolf is not going to ****ing give me this want!!! I do NOT want to hear the opinions of people who don't live and hunt in wolf country...i'm very open minded if you read all my other posts, and I have a love for my fellow hunters and feel like you all are family....but when it comes to wolves and the people that think they are incredible and gorgeous so they should be around....I don't want anything to do with you, and if you love them so much, put them in your own ****ing backyard and take them out of mine and my families!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-06-2007, 11:27 PM
EKM
Typical Buck

Old 03-07-2007, 03:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

I don't want anything to do with you, and if you love them so much, put them in your own ****ing backyard and take them out of mine and my families!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I agree, maybe you should be putting them in the city parks they have a lot of wildlife there. After all they used to live there too.

On another note this is how things are changing the wolves here.

In plain language, Wilson said his work suggests the large, eastern coyotes in Canada are hybrids of the smaller western coyotes and wolves that met and mated decades ago as the coyotes moved toward New England from their earlier western ranges. The animals, he said, may become amplified in size by further crossings between the now-larger eastern coyotes and Canadian wolves.

The outcome of further studies could discourage wildlife officials and conservationists who have talked about reintroducing wolves to the Northeast, Decker said. The usual goal of reintroduction efforts is to preserve true species, not create more hybrids.

"Once you get that coyote-and-wolf hybrid," Paul Wilson said, "it is a very adaptable animal."
This now our biggest problem here and they act just like the wolves do to. Traveling in packs and killing like wolves do, but we can shoot these as they multiply quicker!
Old 03-07-2007, 03:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MinnFinn

I don't know about the part of people introducing something like that into wild animals, even when they are undesireble or a nuisance. People playing around trying to intervene, usually ends up making things worse.
Eventually, it does seem that thing balance out. I'm not saying people don't play a part in the process. I just think that we need to be careful. Many species of animals and plants that have become bigger problems than the original problems they were introduce to solve.

EXACTLY! our state had the great idea of introducing Nile Perch into our waterways to help "clean out" some of the underwater vegetation. another words to make the lakes and lake shores more appealing to property owners. when the state did this, our crystal clear lakes turned to zero visibility and are now over run with Nile Perch.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

Big Bulls: Seeming how you do not live in wolf country...you should not be commenting the way that you are................... Big Bulls...imagine your favorite hunting grounds, in a matter of two years not having any more big bulls in it. This happens, it is not me exaggerating, it is not me being an extremist...plain and simple...I have seen it.
Maybe you should go back a year or two and read all of my postings on this subject. Becasue you are coming in on the tail end of the conversation that has been going on for quite some time now and you obviously don't know my stance on the wolf.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:22 AM
Fork Horn

nobody is going to go back and read your posts from that long ago. beside the fact still remains that you DO NOT live in wolf country. your opinion is base on what you have read in the news and heard from other people in colorado. on the other hand those of us who live in wolf country know exactly what is happening and many have had encounters, and not the "oooooh looky a wolf" kind.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

And I'm not going to restate every single aspect of my thoughts on wolves every single time this comes up.

I know exactly what is happening and why it is happening. If you and fuzzyballsare going to sit there andtell me what you think Ido and do not knowthen at leasteducate yourself about my thoughts concerning the wolf. Cause you twoare way off my friend.

You obviously aren't up on your wolves as much as you think you arebecause Colorado has plenty of them and are increasing in population.

LUCKYDOG, most here don't believe in strong management. Their only solution is to shoot shovel and shut up. Which in the long run gets them absolutely no where, except maybe jail.

Quick Reply: Wolves: Mother's Nature's Revenge

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.