Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Wolves: Mother's Nature's Revenge >

Wolves: Mother's Nature's Revenge

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Wolves: Mother's Nature's Revenge

Old 03-07-2007, 02:14 PM

Default RE: Wolves: Mother's Nature's Revenge

I have never claimed to be an expert, ever. I am active in the wolf wolf controversy though, and you will see me at every seminar the state and feds hold to get an idea of what the public thinks. I have read the wolf delisting plan...all 38 pages of it (three times)....that Idaho submitted on 01/29 of this year to the feds and I have written letters to the state on what I feel is an educated opinion on the matter.

If you want to read this submittle, which I encourage you all to do, go to fishandgame.idaho.gov and read it. If you can't find it I will send it to you, I have it saved on my desktop. The document includes researched information on the wolves impact on our states biology, and although some good has come out of it....the 700 claimed wolves that have infested our state (which I personally fell there are plenty more of them) are just too many in numbers!

I know we will never rid our state of wolves, and if we try, then they will just hybrid up with coyotes in their last ditch efforts to be a social animal and survive. I just think a strong management of the animals needs to be enforced! This will take years to happen....or just months...it just depends on the feedback that the feds get from all of us sitting in here bitching and not doing anything about it.

Until then, people will just keep to the SSS and manage them ourselves...a season will limit this and will control the animals...my encounters with wolves have never been positive...seeing them kill and seeing them be killed is never a good thing, but is something that needs to be done.

Oh yeah, SSS isn't the best option for anyone in here wondering. A little over 30% of the animals in Idaho are radio collared and their movements are continually monitored. If you don't want an investigation on your hands that can be successful, gut shoot the animals. The animals keep mobile for a day or two (if it is with a smaller caliber weapon) and you will be long gone, and the shooting site will never be found. The other animals in the pack will end up killing the wounded animal and a lot of the time, shooting of the animal isn't even discovered. Just some food for thought....terrible death to the animal, but keeps you out of jail. I know I'll be flamed for that comment, and in all truth I hate saying it, but sometimes things need to be done.

I have a buddy of mine that never goes into the field without his .223 with FMJ rounds....puts a clean hole and takes a few days to kill the animal. Do I agree with his tactics....no....I have too much respect for the animals I hunt and I take my chances with SSS, but for those of you that don't want to take their chances...this is an option.

~Cam
Old 03-08-2007, 06:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Killer P. said,
Sounds to me like there is a problem with the laws if you're having trouble and can't shoot them.
That's exactly the point. Federal law is trumping all other states' law, since they put Timber/Grey Wolves on ES list.

TZ - We in the lower 48 of UShave NO rights when it comesto hunting, controlling or protectingwhat's ours from wolves. So, your talk of shooting wolves is totally irrelevant on this sideof the border.
To relate to what we who live in wolf territory south of the border deal with, go for long regular walks in the areas where you regularly see pack of wolves... unarmed. Because that is what we've effetely become... unarmed when it comes to protecting ourselves from wolves, because of extremist "environmentals" and federal bureaucrats who haven't a clue about living in heavy wolf populated area or just don't care.

(How did your ignorance of historical fact about who fought and wonWWII get mixed in with wolves?)
Old 03-08-2007, 08:26 PM
Typical Buck

Pulled my daughter in her sleigh today, even saw some wolf tracks. Never occured to me I need a gun.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:48 AM

ORIGINAL: tangozulu

The wolf is an incredable animal. Nice to see them back where they belong.
A mute point perhaps but the Brits and French pretty well had the Germans on the ropes in WW1 before America showed up. It was the Russians who beat them in WW2.
You need to study your history a little better. Wasn't France once partof Germany (Vichy France?). There is a famous picture of Hitler in Paris with the Eiffel tower in the background. I am sure you could find this somewhere on the net.

And wasn't London and other English cities getting "Blietzkrieged" hiding in underground bunkers for months?

The Russians pushed the Germans back from Stalingrad (on that front). The Eastern front was primarily US and the other allies. Met up in Germany and they were done. If Hitler was a little more patient... take over and rebuild, then take over some more, then rebuild... rather than trying to take over the entire continent at once... We most likely would ALL be speaking German, even you Canadians.

WHich leads me to Where were the Canadians in WWII? They sent a couple dozen troops? I was in Gulf War I, and was primarily the US. We had several Carrier battle groups and Canada sends over a couple rowboats and a helicopter? Your country has absolutely NO backbone whatsoever.

Guessing the Russians beat the Japanese as well?
Old 03-09-2007, 12:55 AM

ID has done well advertising this. They are driving a wedge between the people/hunters and the Fed Gov't. Everyone I know wants to go on a wolf hunt and wants a tag. However, in reality there will probably be very few tags. It has become a debate here and is all over the news about the wolves and their behavior. This has informed alot of people. But, the Feds have to delist first, and if not I see the matters going into the peoples hands.

Anytime I have seen wolves. (Fremont County, Island Park just south of Yellowstone) there is nobody around for miles.

It is the tree huggers advocating for those poor wolves.... Even after there is one attack after another, there are those tree huggers that keep on in support of the wolves.. I don't get it, and honestly would not loose sleep if they were shot into extinction. Well, that might be a little harsh.. keep a few in the zoos.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MinnFinn

Killer P. said,
Sounds to me like there is a problem with the laws if you're having trouble and can't shoot them.
That's exactly the point. Federal law is trumping all other states' law, since they put Timber/Grey Wolves on ES list.

TZ - We in the lower 48 of UShave NO rights when it comesto hunting, controlling or protectingwhat's ours from wolves. So, your talk of shooting wolves is totally irrelevant on this sideof the border.
To relate to what we who live in wolf territory south of the border deal with, go for long regular walks in the areas where you regularly see pack of wolves... unarmed. Because that is what we've effetely become... unarmed when it comes to protecting ourselves from wolves, because of extremist "environmentals" and federal bureaucrats who haven't a clue about living in heavy wolf populated area or just don't care.

(How did your ignorance of historical fact about who fought and wonWWII get mixed in with wolves?)
I never said I wouldn't kill them if they became a problem where I lived, legal or not. I think the first thing to consider is education, even if that means educating the local government, and demanding a change in the laws that protect wolves.
But, I think introducing a disease is probably the most ignorant thing anyone could do. Once you do that, the "control measure" is out of control.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:46 AM
EKM
Typical Buck

Given the small population of Canada, they were well represented in WWII and were known as being a salty bunch.

Holding the discussion to just Europe, the Russians were a major player and fought the Germans on a huge front for yearslonger than the USA. A frustrated Stalin pushed for the allies to invadeEurope for many many monthsbefore they actually did. Meanwhile, the US and Britain chose to work up from the south (Africa then Italy) and at the same timeinstituted a devastating aerial bombing campaign that may not have brought German soldiers to their knees but did bring the German war industry to its knees which indirectly helped the Russians a lot. Meanwhile, over the course of three years, so much US equipment, menand supplies landed in England that the English joked that their island was about to sink. With the D-Day invasion, once we gained the Normandy beach head, it was a relatively fast downhill run with some bumps.

Pacific theater, no contest, all USA though the Aussies were known as some mean mistreaters, just not enough of them.

IMHO, Canada has been a good ally of the USA over the years. They are not as militarily adventerous as the US and there may be a lesson to be learned in that. Recent civilian governments do seem to have leaned towards the leftist weenie side with their gun control, but hey, at least you can shoot wolves in Canada, so its not all bad. As short as the USA is getting on friends, I wouldn't pick on the Canadians.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:47 PM
Typical Buck

This is suppose to be about wolves.................but your grip on history is embarrasing.
ps 100,000 Canadians died in WW1 and WW2

ORIGINAL: hinkleid

ORIGINAL: tangozulu

The wolf is an incredable animal. Nice to see them back where they belong.
A mute point perhaps but the Brits and French pretty well had the Germans on the ropes in WW1 before America showed up. It was the Russians who beat them in WW2.
You need to study your history a little better. Wasn't France once partof Germany (Vichy France?). There is a famous picture of Hitler in Paris with the Eiffel tower in the background. I am sure you could find this somewhere on the net.

And wasn't London and other English cities getting "Blietzkrieged" hiding in underground bunkers for months?

The Russians pushed the Germans back from Stalingrad (on that front). The Eastern front was primarily US and the other allies. Met up in Germany and they were done. If Hitler was a little more patient... take over and rebuild, then take over some more, then rebuild... rather than trying to take over the entire continent at once... We most likely would ALL be speaking German, even you Canadians.

WHich leads me to Where were the Canadians in WWII? They sent a couple dozen troops? I was in Gulf War I, and was primarily the US. We had several Carrier battle groups and Canada sends over a couple rowboats and a helicopter? Your country has absolutely NO backbone whatsoever.

Guessing the Russians beat the Japanese as well?
Old 03-09-2007, 04:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yeah, I still can't figure out what wars have to do with the current wolf problem and this discussion what so ever.
Old 03-09-2007, 05:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I never said I wouldn't kill them if they became a problem where I lived, legal or not. I think the first thing to consider is education, even if that means educating the local government, and demanding a change in the laws that protect wolves.
KP - The point isneither "local" nor state gov't has been the problem. The federal gov't has not pushed through what even the USFW and Dept. Interior admit should be done... delist the grey/Timber Wolves in MN and several western states where they have long since passed their re-population goals.
The problem is left wing "environmental" groups that have repeatedly brought suit in federal court every time the question of delisting them has come up. It's not more education that needs to be done concerning wolves. People who live in high wolf populated areas already know the issues with this. In the meantime, we have to continue to be under the threat of extreme penalties of the law, if you'd even have to protect yourself or your animals from these predators.
Go read my comments at the start. I don’t support putting micro organisms into the wild either to “control” these or other creatures, either. I do support reasonable controls using proven methods (e.g. trapping, hunting).

TZ - I'm glad you have nice timid strain of wolves in your part of Canada. Although I doubt you really think that. To think that this is the case always or in every place is naive at best. I personally know several loggers and people who hike in NE MN woods where Timber Wolf population is the highest in this state, who've been followed back to their trucks and the wolves were not intimidated just because they were men. I also know many people whose animals including some who've been snacked from as close as 20 feet from them.
Articles like the recent one in one of the outdoor magazines describe what wolves are able to do to people, just as they did to dogs, livestock, etc.
Anyone who thinks a big predator that is bold as that able to take down a healthy grown buck couldn't be a potential threat to them isn't dealing with reality. Imo I hope you continue to be kept safe anyway.

(BTW – please don’t continue to minimize the sacrifices Americans made to keep this world safe either. Both my parents served in the U.S. Army in WWII and like so many men and women of Allied countries sacrificed a great deal.)

Quick Reply: Wolves: Mother's Nature's Revenge

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.