Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Back Pack Stoves

Old 03-01-2007, 06:25 AM
Fork Horn

Default Back Pack Stoves

Hi all-
I am in the market for a new backpacking stove. Will be strictly used for boiling water for coffee in the morning and for those dehydrated meals at night. There will be four of us in camp this year and I estimate I will need to boil about 4 quarts per day.
We typically hunt elk off our backs and weight is a key factor, but since we'll be so far in, I don't want to walk back to the truck for gas every few days. Kind of defeats the purpose. Everywhere I look, I can't find fuel consumption statistics for these new backpacking stoves. I was wondering if anyone hunts like this and what their stove reccomendations are. Also, how much fuel is typically needed for a 8 day hunt. I was planning on packing Coleman fuel in those MSR canisters.
Thanks
Old 03-01-2007, 12:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Back Pack Stoves

Willie,
I to was in the market for a pack stove.I ended up buying the Jet-boil PCS.It dose 50 cups/12 li per canister.I looked at a lot of stoves.The reason I went with this stove was that it packs into its self and eliminates carring a pot.
I did most of my questions on this I went to www.bowsite.com.There is alot of archery elk backpack hunters on there.
I'm planning a 9 day hunt 6 miles in.I hunted this area last year and the year befor.I was getting up at 4 every morrning to hike in and not getting there till 8-9 and missing the morrning movement.So this year I will camp with in a mile and hunt right around camp.
I hope elk season getts here quick.
BBJ
Old 03-01-2007, 12:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

The first thing that popped into my head also when I read this was the Jetboil stove. www.jetboil.com
I do not have one, but it is on my wish list. For just boiling water for oatmeal, coffee, dehydrated meals, etc, I don't think it can be beat. And I have looked at a lot of different stoves over the last two years in search of the perfect one. This probably comes as close as you can get.

Later,

Marcial
Old 03-01-2007, 02:00 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks- I was checking out the Jetboil, but it can only hold one liter with the included pot. With four guys, I'll probably need about 2 liters per meal.

It looks real fuel efficient though. I could probably get away with using two large canisters for a week. How are airlines about these canisters in checked baggage?
Old 03-01-2007, 02:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

That is a very good question. I would definately call the particular airline you will be using and find out for sure. Another option may be to make a contact in the area you will be going and see if you can have the canisters shipped there via UPS Ground.

Later,

Marcial
Old 03-01-2007, 02:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

You can buy the canisters about anywhere that hiking stuff is sold.
You could do the GPCS by jet boil,that modle holds 1.5 liters.You could have the 2 other guys pack a canister of fuel also.That would make a total of three,plenty for a week long hunt.
BBJ
Old 03-01-2007, 05:51 PM
Fork Horn

I have a Jetboil, and it's amazing. Even if you think the mug or pot is too small, it boils so fast that I guarantee you could boil up a few batches in the time it takes another stove to do one. Also is very durable & the fuel can, accessories store inside of it. It has it's own ignition system as well (push button), so one less worry. You can get a coffee press for it, and it doubles as an insulated mug to drink it out of. I had an MSR Whisperlite International before: takes too long to set up, prime, get flame right, etc. It's also messier & smellier (impt if hunting) and you need to lug around a potentially leaky fuel bottle. Jetboil just uses a virtually odorproof gas canister. I've heard other brand canisters will work as well, but I've actually only used Jetboil brand. Only problem is that in extreme cold the fuel cans don't work quite as well (no problem---just hold in hands or coat pocket for few minutes). Get one & you'll love it....
Old 03-02-2007, 05:37 AM
Fork Horn

Sellme69-
How long does one of the (8oz.) fuel canisters last. They're not as heavy as carrying white gas contianers, so I don't mind packing them, but i want to be sure I have enough. Would you say 4 canisters would last my group a week of just boiling water for meals. We have a purification system for drinking water.