Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Frustrated w/ canadian border crossing! >

Frustrated w/ canadian border crossing!

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Frustrated w/ canadian border crossing!

Old 02-24-2007, 11:30 AM

Default Frustrated w/ canadian border crossing!

I'm trying to plan a canadian moose hunt for this year. The catch is that I have a reckless driving charge on my driving record. I'm in the process of finding out if this offense is going to deem me inadmissable into Canada. You would think this should be a simple phone call and a yes/no answer. Oh no! I've spent lots of time on the phone and on various web sites trying to find out the answer.
I finally found a paragraph in the web sites that said the only way to find out is by filling out a rehabilition form and seding it to an appropriate consulate office. On which they want your last 10yr history. I've choosen an outfitter but don't want to send a deposit until I find out for sure. So far the outfitter has been very understanding. Why can't this be a simple phone call, yes or no?
If you are planing a canadian hunt/fishing trip make sure everyone in your party is up on the border crossing procedures.[:@]
(sorry, just had to vent.)
Old 02-24-2007, 12:35 PM

Default RE: Frustrated w/ canadian border crossing!

I know what you mean 20gabl ,I went threw that last year had a oui back in 91 which i believe they consider it a felony in can.went on all these site trying to get info ,then called some # and they ended up telling me to call the border crossing that i would be going threw and i ask the officer there if i would be able to cross seeing this was the only thing on my record and they said i woludnt have a problem , went to cross and had no problems, going back to new brunswick at the end of may on another bear trip
Old 02-24-2007, 01:56 PM

I agree it is a bit of a squirrel nest but the states broder is the same if not worse. We have trouble getting into the states also if we have a dui or charges on our records. Heck i went down to the u.sa month ago to shop and they pulled me aside, stripped the truck and interigated me for an hour.No criminal record, not so much as a speeding ticket, taking education in university, yep i am a bad a$$. I had a friend from this site come up to shed hunt a few years back and he checked everything out b4 hand. He could take back sheds as long as they were for personal use and he did not have a truck load. I sent him home with about 20 sheds. Got to the border and they would not let him in. After being interigated they let him across with 6 and he boxed the rest up and ups'd them back to me. Not sure if 6 was the number of the day on seaseme street or where they got that number but made no sense however you look at it. If you are coming into Canada find out exactly where you are going to cross and talk to those people. Also get the name of the person you are talking to on the phone. So often in these cases the left hand doesn't know what the right is doing. I am headed down to the U.S this fall for a trip and will be talking to the people at the exact border crossing i will be using as soon as i figure out what route i am taking.
Old 02-24-2007, 08:13 PM

I'd like to call the border office a Coutts, AB by Sweetgrass, MT but I only can find a main number to Border Information Service(BIS), which I've already called. It almost sounds like it depends on the day. It is scary to think I could spend large amounts of money and time into a hunt I might not get to go on. My buddies would leave my arse at the border and come back with their stories. I guess I could use a bear rug and sneeeek across.
Old 02-24-2007, 11:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

20GADBL:

I don't think I would ever hunt in Canada because of the situation you are in. That is why Iwill stay in the USA, andone day hunt Alaska. Good luck.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:19 AM
Typical Buck

Well you can thank GWB for needing a passport to re-enter your own country. As far as criminal records it works the same for Canadians entering the US. Guess I would call that fair.

ORIGINAL: handloader1

20GADBL:

I don't think I would ever hunt in Canada because of the situation you are in. That is why Iwill stay in the USA, andone day hunt Alaska. Good luck.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:20 AM
Fork Horn

I believe I answered you about this on your other post. A reckless driving charge, unless you spent time in jail, is not going to stop you. And even that depends on how long ago it was. I think you are making a harder deal out of it than it should be. First of all, your Outfitter should be able to get the info and tell you where to go. He should be interested in helping you I would think. We have quite a few Americans come up here every year to our place...fishing, hunting, snowmobiling and just vacationing. Yes the ones with violent criminal records have been denied entry. But a lot of them must know how to do it because we issued over 500 export permits last year to Americans taking game back home. You should be able to do it with one or two phone calls to Canadian Border Services and Immigration.

Like I told you before, go to your local Police Dept.. Ask them to run a criminal check on you and get a copy of it. It'll cost you around $5.00. Then call Canadian Border Services. Tell them you have a current copy of your criminal record. Get the persons name and fax it to them and ask them ifit will deny you entry into Canada. Ask them to fax you back an answer. It's as simple as that.

Old 02-25-2007, 09:55 AM
Fork Horn

Hey 20GaDBL,

Don't know if you are hunting with a group or not. If so you will need to make positive everybody is on the up and up with you. In 2005 we went to Canada to hunt Elk. There was a group of 5. Of this four of us were friends and one was a friend of a frined. An all right guy but only one of my buddies knew him. We got to the border and we were put thru the ringer. Searched from top to bottom. Each taken in to seperate rooms and questioned for over an hour each. This was my 7th trip to Canada so I new something wasn't right. After 6 hours we were told we couldn't enter as a group. They explained one of us had a problem. We went outside to talk. Found out this guy had bought minnors beer when he was 21 and got conviceted of it. Mind you he is 45 now but they still wouldn't let him pass. Don't know his reason and didn't care at the time. We took him back to the nearest town. Got a bus ticket and went back. Went back to the crossing took about 30 seconds to get across. Now if I ever travel as a group everybody knows up front if they have had problems they better not go.

Goatslayer........
Old 02-25-2007, 12:44 PM

Darkside55, I wish it was as simple as that. This is the kinda of responses I was getting. They just told me to refernce a web site I already have read. The people on the phone tell me they cannot answer my question and send me back on the trail. I'm just in a wait and see mode right now. There is a term Dangerous Driving listed as an inadmissable offense on there web site. This is why I'm so concerned. Like I said before this envolves lots of investment on my part to not be sure. [/align][/align]E-mail Response:[/align][/align]Sir,[/align][/align]You may be criminaly inadmisible in Canada. Please refer to http://geo.international.gc.ca/can-am/detroit/right_nav/areyoucriminallyinadmissibletocanada-en.aspto learn about Rehabilitatio and Temporary Resident Permit.[/align][/align][align=left]
Immigration and Visas -1
Canadian Consulate General/ Consulat général du Canada
600 Renaissance Centre, Suite 1100
Detroit, Michigan 48243-1798
Phone: (313) 567-2085
Fax: (313) 567-2125
E-mail: [email protected]
Sites : http://www.cic.gc.ca or http://Detroit.gc.ca.
[/align][/align]
Old 02-25-2007, 03:21 PM
Fork Horn

First of all let me say this. I do not agree with what the Government here is doing. A lot of my income comes from American hunters and fishermen.

I did something that maybe your outfitter could have helped you with. I called a friend of mine in Ottawa that works for Immigration and Border Services...on a Sunday no less, LOL. And this is what he told me....

If this was a conviction under the age of 18or more than 10 years ago, it will be over looked. If it was less than 10 years ago and over the age of 18, it will not. And you will be denied entry. All the forms they want you to fill out for a pardon, etc., and the money they want you to send will be a waste of your time and money if you don't meet the above conditions. And also if you've had so much as a speeding violation since then, it'll be a no-go. Once again I apologize for our government and wish you the best of luck.

Quick Reply: Frustrated w/ canadian border crossing!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.