Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

pack frame

Old 03-02-2007, 08:09 PM

Default RE: pack frame

I personally recommend Bullpacs as one of the best you can find for an external pack frame for packing out large animals and heavy loads! I have used them and strapped my gear to it! Now when I am archery hunting or hunting in deep timber I use an Camelbak Pack but I am looking into the Crooked Horn and several others for day packs! I know you will not be disappointed in the quality of these packs!
Old 03-02-2007, 11:14 PM
Typical Buck

I hunt with a Jansport day pack, just like the college kids use. I got my ammo lunch mirror space blanket camera etc in it.

For real haeavy packing I bot a CabelasAlaskan frieghterpack frame(only) for 149.00(which is now on sale for 99.00).

Good luck.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: dabowhunter

Noobie question. Do you guys carry the pack frame on you while hunting? Or do you hike back to camp to get it after a kill. Or does it depend on how far your hiking from camp. If you don't use it always, do you use a smaller backpack for gear?
I leave my pack frame in camp. I hunt within a couple of miles from base camp. Thereis usually 3 of us. Each guy takes a meat bag with him in his day pack. After a bull is down, we bone it out on the spot ( leaving the testicle sack attatched to a skinned boned out hind quater of course). The meat gets put into the sacks evenly. We tie the top and use the cord to tie it to the bottom corner of the sack. The meat can be then hung over the shoulder and around the body. This saves us 4 miles of walking to get the pack frames. When we get to camp, the meat sacks will be loaded into the pack frames for the long haul out.