Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

pack frame

Old 02-16-2007, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: pack frame

I just bought the Cabelas Alsakan Outfitter extreem.I have not used it yet but I'm very impressed with quality.I put my 10 year old dughter in it to test it(90 lbs).I can walk very comfortable with it loaded.
I used to use a Jansport frame to pack out and I can say they are a joke.
I would shy away from the 2200 badlands just due to it's size,but I realy like the badlands 4500.
Don't forget Elerstock either,they make some darn good packs(J-104 or J-105).
I bought a Hornhunter Mainbeam XL last year for a day pack,it has the capacity of 3000 ci,and also a meatshelf to pack 1/4 or a deer out.I never did get to use the pack on 1/4's.It is also a option for a day pack/meat pack.
BBJ
Old 02-16-2007, 05:06 PM

ORIGINAL: dayna0306

mjhamel ,that is the pack .It is the only pack I have used so I can'nt compare it to anyother but I'm very happy with it .I have been using it for about 15 years now and packed around a dozen animals with it ,there is not a rip or any broken snaps or staps on it yet,and I must say I am very hard on thinks like that. WYOTIMBERGHOST congrats on the sheep ,was it a dwight schuh pack,there is a little flex in my frame but it doesn't bother me.
Thanks, but it wasn't my sheep. I just went along to help pack.[8D]

Not sure what the pack was. I borrowed it so that I wouldn't have to fly one up to Alaska. I didn't want any checked luggage.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

For heavy loads I would see if I could get my hands on a Mc Kinley. If you cant find one of those, my next choice would be a Kelty. I have packed large loads in my Blacks Creek Alaskan, but for the big jobs, I want my external frame Mc Kinley. I have a camptrails moose pack which is one compartment that unzips in the front for getting the meat in and outand hasstraps to secure the load and keep it from landing low on your hips.

I have packed out 20+ bulls with this setup and have never had a back ache. For the shouler straps, I like to use fleece seatbelt covers from an auto store. It sure helps with the wear and tear of the straps.
Old 02-17-2007, 06:36 AM

ORIGINAL: dayna0306

I use a coleman dwight shuw [spelling] external plastic frame and like it a lot ,it will hold a spike campor all the meat you can handle.I have tied front shoulder of an alaskan moose to it and had no problems . Like wytrapper said ,take the bone out where legal and you can put it in the large bag .Here it is at work

[/align]

Nice pick dayna, that's the sort of stuff that gets my blood flowing and keeps me going.
Old 02-17-2007, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I bought two frame packs from Gander Mountain.....$40.00 each on sale from $50. I quatered out my elk this year and they both worked likea charm!!
Old 02-17-2007, 04:13 PM

Thanks alot for the help guys,
what do you guys think about the Redhead pack frame:
http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=55469&hvarDept=400&a mp;hvarEvent=&hvarClassCode=8&hvarSubCode= 12&hvarTarget=browse
Old 02-20-2007, 11:24 AM
Spike

I've been using this Kelty frame for a couple of years now and I love it. It seems more compact than my Cabelas Alaskan guide series frame. My waiste size is a little small for the cabelas frame and the Kelty one fits great taking alot of weight off of my shouldrs. The side pieces wrap around the load and there's a blaze orange cover that zips out of the bottom.
I've hauled several elk out with it over the last few years and it has performed flawlessly each time.
http://www.bobwards.com/bobwards/servlet/item/features/84439-03

Old 02-23-2007, 11:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Noobie question. Do you guys carry the pack frame on you while hunting? Or do you hike back to camp to get it after a kill. Or does it depend on how far your hiking from camp. If you don't use it always, do you use a smaller backpack for gear?
Old 02-23-2007, 12:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Da,
I always left my pack frameat camp.They are generaly noisy and cumbersome.That is why I bought the Hornhunter Mainbeam XL.I can bring a load of meat out on the first trip,and not waste a trip for the pack frame.
BBJ
Old 03-02-2007, 07:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I liked the frames on the backs of 2 pack mules that took our quartered Elk out from about 5 miles in. I would have taken us at least a 1 1/2 to 2 days to get them out of the rugged country and still it took 3/4 with the mules. I liked my pack mule "Daisy" the best. She's one of them in the back.

Quick Reply: pack frame

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.