HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   pack frame (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/180543-pack-frame.html)

maks_daddy 02-14-2007 01:56 PM

pack frame

looking to start elk hunting in colorado. wondering what to look for in a pack, where to get a pack and what ones do you use?

wyomingtrapper 02-14-2007 03:12 PM

RE: pack frame

I've packed elk quarters on an Alaska II frame from cabelas. It'll do the trick, though there are without a doubt better for more money. I boned and packed a bull out two years ago with a friend using a internal frame pack. After doing so, I will say for boned meat, it is the way to go. The weight carries much better than on an external frame, but if your going bone in--you'll probably want the frame. That being said, if you can do it and keep the meat clean, BONE IT OUT! Makes no sense packing the bones out.

dayna0306 02-14-2007 04:15 PM

I use a coleman dwight shuw [spelling] external plastic frame and like it a lot ,it will hold a spike campor all the meat you can handle.I have tied front shoulder of an alaskan moose to it and had no problems . Like wytrapper said ,take the bone out where legal and you can put it in the large bag .Here it is at work

[/align]

wyomingtrapper 02-14-2007 05:13 PM

WOW! Great moose!

Champlain Islander 02-15-2007 07:06 AM

My party of 3 all scored on elk in the same day this year on a do it yourself hunt in South Central Colorado. We all had Cabelas outfitter or guide frames and quartered and packed all 3 out in the same day. The frames are really great and distribute the weight over your hips so you can carry much more than on a conventional pack. Good value IMO.

dayna0306 02-15-2007 09:40 AM

Thanks wytrapper.Hey islander are the cabala packs fleese covered and the frames plastic ,I haven't seen them ,thats what I like about the dwight and alsothe thick padded belly strap.If you look close I mounted the top of a tripod to attach my spotting scope on the frame .I cann't hardly go anywhere without my spotter but now I leave the tripod in camp.

[/align]

Champlain Islander 02-15-2007 10:36 AM

I have the Cabelas Outfitter series pack and frame. The frame is all metal but light in weightand the pack is waterproof cordura and has padded pockets for optics, an H2O bladder and all kinds of storage. I could fit tons of cloths and gearin the pack and frame for a pack in hunt. It will even carry my rifle in a specially designed pouch. When we packed out the elk we just used the frames. The quarters sat on the bottom ledge and were held in securely in place by straps with snap buckles all covered in orange for safety. The straps are really wide, and are padded to provide comfort. The frame can adjust to practically any body size or shape.

mjhamel 02-15-2007 07:06 PM

Hello all, I am new to this forum. Wanted to say hello and ask a few questions. Dayna, is this the pack that you were talking about?
http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standar...=cat20770&hasJS=true
I was looking at this pack myself and was hoping that I could find someone who has used it before. I am really up in the air as to what kind of pack to get. Currently, I live in Eastern Nebraska. I do a lot of whitetail hunting here, but would really like to start making annual trips out west to chase mule deer, elk, and antelope. I am looking for a pack that can do it all so to speak. Does anyone have any suggestions or comments on what I should look at? I have also been looking at the Badlands 2200, but am afraid that I wont' be able to pack an animal out of the woods with it. I have also looked at the various Cabela's brand external/internal frame packs. There has been so many people that say they like them or hate them that I don't know if I should consider it or not. Please help. Thanks.

wyotimberghost 02-15-2007 10:50 PM

Just avoid the plastic frames. I packed out half a dall sheep in addition to the rest of my gear using a plastic frame in Alaska, and the darn thing bowed under the weight so bad it was ridiculous.

dayna0306 02-16-2007 05:53 AM

mjhamel ,that is the pack .It is the only pack I have used so I can'nt compare it to anyother but I'm very happy with it .I have been using it for about 15 years now and packed around a dozen animals with it ,there is not a rip or any broken snaps or staps on it yet,and I must say I am very hard on thinks like that. WYOTIMBERGHOST congrats on the sheep ,was it a dwight schuh pack,there is a little flex in my frame but it doesn't bother me.