Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Rifle

Old 03-13-2007, 12:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Rifle

Person,
He should be fine with it.The .338 WM is not as nasty as some say,and I bet alot have never fired one.
Ruger makes a fine rifle,a little heavy but good.If the Winchester is still around I would pick it up,little spendy for a used rifle but still lot of life.Savage also makes a good entry line rifle,and with Howa.
If I had a choice the Tikka would be it,line it out with a Burris 3-9 scope and stock up on 210 gr Nosler.
Oh and also a sims pad would not be a bad idea,make it a more fun at the range.
BBJ
Old 03-16-2007, 08:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

You didn't say what he'd be using it to hunt. Assuming it's Elk or other large big game, if he shows he can handle it, more power to him. I'm not sure if most 15 year olds would be ready for that powerful a rifle. Not saying some can't. I imagine he'd get to know how to handle it after the initial sight in period, which is probably the most challenging of any heavy caliber rifle.
Otherwise if he's primarily going to be using for game that doesn't need a magnum caliber, your experience and guidance would be good to help steer him toward a caliber that is more in line with the game animals he's hunting.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think the 338 is the perfect choice. He already has a 270-winchester. I am sure he will LOVE the 338.
IMHO, You could not ask for a better two guncombo for big game.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:24 AM
EKM
Typical Buck

My first high power centerfire was a 270 (it was okay)....
My second was a 338WinMag (now you're talking)....

Nice to see the kid thinking outside of the box,
If he handles the 270 and the 3.5" Turkey Loads, then the 338WinMaq should be no problem.

338WinMag is a pretty gentle "magnum" IMO.... little more push.... little less "jab",
Make sure the easy fundamentals are taken care of:
- Pachmayer recoil pad
- Proper stock length fit
- Proper eye relief (both in the mounting and in the scope's eye relief length.... Leupold shines here)

Then, for the beginning....
- Not the heaviest loads
-Careful introduction --- standing and off hand [option, try iron sights, before the scope goes on]
-Early "buddy loading" exercise (sometimes live round, sometimes empty chamber) to ensure smooth trigger pull.

Just a reasonable approach to getting in tune with a more powerful tool, no big deal.
Old 03-30-2007, 07:57 PM

If he can handle it ...I say go for it, use the largest caliber that your comfortable w/. If he's already useing a 270 he'll most likely be able to handle the 338 eventually even if not right away. I've shot a few and didnt mind the recoil, but I've seen quite a few used and boy do they lay the animals out.
Old 04-22-2007, 08:24 PM

What is he going to be hunting with this rifle?