Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 African Rifle Scope Advice. >

African Rifle Scope Advice.

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

African Rifle Scope Advice.

Old 02-08-2007, 09:03 PM
Fork Horn

Default African Rifle Scope Advice.

For a large caliber African rifle like the 375 HH, how do you typically top them off? Scope? No scope? Removeable scope? Over under scope mount so you can see the iron sights as well?

Also for a scope do you go with a lower power or a traditional 3x9?

Thanks..
Old 02-08-2007, 11:04 PM

Default RE: African Rifle Scope Advice.

i think i 3x9 would be good, as for a mount, my dad has a flip mount for his scope, because we moose hunt in heavy bear country, it flips to the side, and he can use iron sights, or flip ot up and use the scope,

seems easier than looking under scope rings to me
Old 02-09-2007, 12:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

My favorite is the Leupold 1.5 x 5.I feel thethree most important factorswhen considering a scoped big bore rifle for hunting dangerous gameis quick target acquisition, being able to hold on the animal when moving and generous eye relief. With the lower power, target acquisition is fastand alsovery easy to hold on a moving target even when the heart starts a pumpin. The5x is more thanample for longer shots.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:15 AM

ORIGINAL: Whitehorn

Over under scope mount so you can see the iron sights as well?
Ah, negative! Will not withstand the recoil. Don't even consider them.

ORIGINAL:AkhunterTeen

my dad has a flip mount for his scope, because we moose hunt in heavy bear country, it flips to the side,
Not a good Idea either.

ORIGINAL: Sniper 151

My favorite is the Leupold 1.5 x 5.I feel thethree most important factorswhen considering a scoped big bore rifle for hunting dangerous gameis quick target acquisition, being able to hold on the animal when moving and generous eye relief. With the lower power, target acquisition is fastand alsovery easy to hold on a moving target even when the heart starts a pumpin. The5x is more thanample for longer shots.
Sound advice. A good low magnification scope is your best solution. At 1.5 power I can see the front site in the scope. Field of view is nearly as large as open sights. Target acquistion is instinctive, Point and acquire. Excellent for heavy cover and dangerous game.5x is sufficient for 250 yards. If you're shooting a 375 most likely you will not be making long range shooting a priority.

A good idea may be to buy a set of Leupold QD rings and mounts. QD stands for "quick detach", but don't expect to be able to detach them in the heat of the moment. It is more along the line of detaching your scope before the Plane ride, or removing the scope if it gets damaged to continue the hunt with iron sights etc.
Old 02-09-2007, 08:48 AM
Typical Buck

My 416 Rigby wears a Swarovski 1.5x6x42 and a Zeiss 3x12x56 sits atop a 375 H&H. Though I have never been in a dangerous life or death situation , the field of view of 1.5 power would be greatly appreciated to say the least! I also like the fact that these are first plane 4A reticle scopes. While these are great scopes, I would also look atLeupolds....they have a pretty good reputation on dangerous game rigs and offer generous eye relief.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:52 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the advice everybody..

Cheers.
Old 02-09-2007, 06:40 PM

On my .416 Rigby CZ 550 Safari Mag, I placed a Leupold VXII in 1.5 x 5 power. Solid base and rings are required to hold up to the recoil.
Shooting at 1.5 is very easy on the eye relief and provides ample filed of view when things demand a fast set up on an animal. I uaes the 5x to sight in at 100yds. It gives quite abit of mag to see the buulseye well.
Good luck!
Old 02-09-2007, 09:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

I had a 2x7 scope on my 416 Rem Mag. It worked real well. I have seen many with just 2X scopes. My rifle had an OLD Redfield scope.
Old 02-10-2007, 08:39 PM
Typical Buck

None better for any hunting anything anywhere in the world.

The old Redfield 1.5x5 also is top notch if you can find one.

ORIGINAL: Sniper151