Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Caribou Meat

Old 12-02-2002, 09:10 PM

Default Caribou Meat

I am planning to go on a caribou hunt and I've heard from some hunting buddies that caribou meat gets foul tasting when they are rutting hard. Any truth to this?
Old 12-02-2002, 11:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Caribou Meat

My dad and godfather were turned off from caribou hunting because of some meat they had years and years ago from bulls taken during the rut. They didn't bother attempting to go, and finally got interested when I brought home some caribou from an early season bull I had shot. I still haven't taken a bull during the rut, but I have had some meat from a bull taken during the rut season, but he wasn't rutting hard when shot. The meat tasted very good. All of these caribou come from an area that is not rich in lichens, which I think results in a better quality meat due to the forage.

The majority of the feedback I've heard though is that rutting caribou meat is nasty, but you have to wonder how many of those people didn't take very good care of their meat in the first place. Nothing will ruin the taste faster than poor handling in the field and freezer. If you could schedule your hunt for late August, early Sept., I think you would be a lot happier with the quality of the meat though, based on what I have heard.
ArcticBowMan's Hunting Photo's
Old 12-03-2002, 09:08 AM

In the hunting booklet distributed by the Newfoundland wildlife department it is suggested that caribou stags not be shot during the rut (2-3 weeks in October) because of the potential nasty taste.

The past two years I have taken my stags in mid november and the meat has tasted great but both animals had lost their antlers before I crossed their path. Antlers are not a priority but I wouldn't mind a set so next year I think I'll try a couple of hunts in September if its cool and there aren't a lot of flies.

Another reason reason to hunt earlier is that a mature stag loses a lot of weight during the rut. Between fighting and rutting he doesn't get alot of time for eating and resting.
Old 12-03-2002, 03:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rutting bou meat is HORRIBLE! Even quartering a buddys bull this year was nasty in itself!!!

I thought the exact same Jerry, I am here to tell ya, DONT shoot one come mid oct!!! They tried every way concievable to make it edible, no go! From sausage and jerky to hamburger and soaking.....it reaks!

The theory is the bulls are "drinking" the urine of the females (first year I had heard of this). Their livers can only handle so much before the acids take over the meat.

This bull was handled with the UTMOST care as we give to all of the game kills I am on, clean as a whistle, and boy he was rancid!

Just my .02 after more then a few lateseason bou kills, this is number 2 non edible of 5, 2 of the 5 were early season bulls, the 2 bad ones were mid, the last bull was also a mid oct bull and was good. I think its a chance I dont care to take again!
Old 12-03-2002, 07:50 PM
Typical Buck

Quote from Jim Zumbo's "Amazing Venison Recipes"- " one of the worst tasting animals I'd ever taken was a caribou in B.C. during the rut... the guide warned me the meat would be so strong even the dogs wouldn't eat it...he was right. Compared that with one taken two months earlier in late August...was outstanding, as delectable as any animal I'd ever eaten". Seems with caribou timing is everything.

there is no subsitute for quality
Old 12-04-2002, 05:36 PM

Thanks for the info...sounds like an early hunt is the ticket. Sure would suck to take a big animal and have to scrap the meat, especially since I would be traveling along ways to go hunt for bou!
Old 12-05-2002, 07:23 AM

I have heard the same thing as everyone else throwing in their 2 cents. however, and I have no personal verification of this, I was told that if you take a bull in rut with bow and arrow, the nasty taste is virtually eliminated. The theory behind it is that while the rifle kills through sheer force and transferring the bullets energy to the bull, the arrow bleeds the bull of most of its "tainted" blood. This bleeding causes most of the toxins to exit the bull before it can taint the meat.

again, don't know if it is true, but that is what I heard.

Old 12-06-2002, 08:16 AM

Don't know where you are planning on hunting bou but a friend of mine just got back from a mid November hunt in Quebec that he drove to. I had some of the meat and it's great. The cost wasn't all that bad either only about $1100 including the license.
Old 12-06-2002, 09:45 AM

M/H1954: Thanks for the info....do you have any particulars on your partners hunt in Quebec? I'd appreciate any info you could share with me. Email address in on my profile.
Old 12-06-2002, 10:46 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: Caribou Meat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.