HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Caribou Meat
Thread: Caribou Meat
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2002, 11:44 PM
ArcticBowMan
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Caribou Meat

My dad and godfather were turned off from caribou hunting because of some meat they had years and years ago from bulls taken during the rut. They didn't bother attempting to go, and finally got interested when I brought home some caribou from an early season bull I had shot. I still haven't taken a bull during the rut, but I have had some meat from a bull taken during the rut season, but he wasn't rutting hard when shot. The meat tasted very good. All of these caribou come from an area that is not rich in lichens, which I think results in a better quality meat due to the forage.

The majority of the feedback I've heard though is that rutting caribou meat is nasty, but you have to wonder how many of those people didn't take very good care of their meat in the first place. Nothing will ruin the taste faster than poor handling in the field and freezer. If you could schedule your hunt for late August, early Sept., I think you would be a lot happier with the quality of the meat though, based on what I have heard.
ArcticBowMan's Hunting Photo's