Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

your favorite bear hunt?

Old 01-17-2002, 01:55 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: your favorite bear hunt?

HAVE HUNTED BLACK BEARS ALOT WITH BOTH BAIT AND SPOT AND STALK. SOME AREAS BAITING IS NOT NEEDED BUT OTHER AREAS IT TOUGH BECAUSE OF TERRAIN. I HAVE PUT ALOT OF TIME AND EFFORT INTO BAITING AND NOT GET A BEAR. IT IS ALOT MORE WORK THAN ALOT OF PEOPLE THINK IT IS. WITH A BOW I GIVES ALOT MORE TIME TO JUDGE A DECENT BEAR AND LESSEN THE CHANCE OF SHOOTING A SOW OR A BEAR THAT IS RUBBED. I HAVE HUNTED GRIZZLY BY SPOT AND STALK ...LOTS OF FUN, TWO PARTNERS HAVE CONNECTED WHILE I HUNTED WITH THEM BUT I HAVE NOT BEEN SUCCESSFUL YET.
Old 01-17-2002, 06:02 AM

OVER BAIT FROM A TREE STAND WITH A 12 GAUGE AND SLUGS. NEXT TIME I'M GOING TO USE MY BOW.
Old 01-20-2002, 07:44 AM

When I lived in Alaska we went down to Prince of Whales Island and hunted black bear in September. We hunted clear cuts in the morning when they were picking blueberries and then along the salmon filled rivers in the evening.

The area is known to get a foot of rain a month so we were always prepared to get wet. One time it rained all the way while driving, taking the fairy, and boating to our camp. We then had 6 straight days of perfect sunshine!!!!

Lefty Llewellyn