Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Mule Deer vs. White tail

Old 01-12-2007, 12:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Mule Deer vs. White tail

Mule deer.

I will even take this postone step farther.
Mule Deer with a bow. I love hunting mule deer bucks in september, in the high country.

Old 01-12-2007, 01:04 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: npaden

Also whitetail are generally on private land and mulies can generally be hunted on public land.
What part of the country are you from?
Old 01-12-2007, 01:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I grew up in Eastern Montana and now live in Texas. In Eastern Montana the whitetails tend to stick to the river bottoms and the river bottoms are about the only private land around. In Texas there basically is no public land so you have to hunt both on private land.
Old 01-12-2007, 01:14 PM
Dominant Buck

I grew up in Eastern Montana and now live in Texas. In Eastern Montana the whitetails tend to stick to the river bottoms and the river bottoms are about the only private land around. In Texas there basically is no public land so you have to hunt both on private land.
FL is 95% Public Land.
Old 01-12-2007, 01:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm fortunate to live in a area that is co-inhabited with both Mulies and White-tails.
I love to hunt both,I canchoose wich one tickles my fancey at that time.
A BIG whitie is awsome to behold and a BIG Mulie is awsome to.I have been fortunate to harvest big deer of both breeds(189 7/8 B&C mulie and a 155 1/4 B&C white-tail (big to me).I passed a 170+ class mulie this year and let my Bro-in-law take him(I ended up with a 140 ish 6x6 white-tail).
I have yet to reach my goal of a 170+ white-tail so my choice is simple.
White-tail !!!!
Who ever said you can't stalk whitie's I do and it's fun,fun!!
BBJ
Old 01-12-2007, 01:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

FL is 95% Public Land.
That's odd, I've never heard of that. I would have guessed exactly the opposite. I guess the everglades are a large % but I wasn't aware of any other significant public land in Florida.

I would be willing to put a wager that 95% is quite an exaggeration though. Even with less than 1 million people in a state about twice the size of Florida, Montana is only about 60% public land.

Old 01-12-2007, 02:00 PM
Dominant Buck

FL is 95% Public Land.
That's odd, I've never heard of that. I would have guessed exactly the opposite. I guess the everglades are a large % but I wasn't aware of any other significant public land in Florida.

I would be willing to put a wager that 95% is quite an exaggeration though. Even with less than 1 million people in a state about twice the size of Florida, Montana is only about 60% public land.

You havenever heard of Appalachicola National Forrest, Ocala National Forrest, Big Cypress that are 500,000 and 600,000 acres and we have over 90 WMA's and many are from 55,000 to 65,000 acres.
Old 01-12-2007, 02:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Whitetails! I love scouting for months and sitting in one spot from sun up to sun down.
Old 01-12-2007, 02:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

You havenever heard of Appalachicola National Forrest, Ocala National Forrest, Big Cypress that are 500,000 and 600,000 acres and we have over 90 WMA's and many are from 55,000 to 65,000 acres.
Reading on the internet I get 11 million acres of state land (That's around 30%)

I found this map of federal land:

Looking at that map I'm going to have to say that can't be more than around 25%.

I'm not a math wizard but I can't get 95% out of 30% state land + 25% Federal land?

It is quite a bit more than I would have thought but I'm going to have to say the 95% is tad bit of an exaggeration.
Old 01-12-2007, 02:37 PM
Dominant Buck

Ok, I exaggerated, Ill admit to that!The map you are showing me is Federal Land, not State Land. Here is the way it's regioned out for State Wildlife Management Areas (Public Land).

These are all WMA'S (Public Land, besides the Federal lands)

2006-2007 WMA Brochures

This one is 30 mins from the house. It covers 4 counties!

Green Swamp

Quick Reply: Mule Deer vs. White tail

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.