Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Cougar

Old 01-07-2007, 03:36 PM

Default RE: Cougar

ORIGINAL: M77man

ORIGINAL: Baleful Scout

I hunt in the UP and could've swore I seena cougarin the dark before but my eyes/mind could have been playing tricks on me. I haven't called the DNR yet, but my question is, if I ever came face to face with one (God I hope not) can I or should I shoot it?
I have been face to face with "Panther" (with no dogs)on a few occasions.
The most intense was...
I was on the ground crouched under a cedar tree...
I had already seenthe Pantherstalking a deer 300 yards off as I was stalking a bachelor group of 3 in a brush field.
Our stalks brought us to within 75 yards from each another.
At this point I abandoned my stalk andput a knee down under the mentioned cedartoobserve the Panther.
I watchedit take the whitetail and then it immediately turned its attention to me.
I knew it couldnt smell me and it was dark by this point so at first I just watched hopeing it wasnt coming my way, but it was. In a semi-circle.
I unsheathed my knife and laid it on the earth by my knee.
It got closer and closer.
I drew my bow back and thought 15yards no problem, then the thought crossed my mind of wounded ticked off cat in its enviroment...It should run off when shotbut who knows I thought.
I let my bow down and continued to stare in its eyes. I couldnt really see its eyes but I could "feel" or connection.
My heart was as pounding at this point.
The Panther sit on its haunches and lowered its head I saw the tail whip. It was around20 ft away I guess...
I jumped up with knife in hand and holding my bow as a shield.
The panther jetted off to its right...

I dont think you need to worry about an attack by a Puma as long as you make yourself known.
I am sure the panther I had my run in with was only triing to see what it needed to protect its food from.
"I always watch my back whenmy face is in the wind."
In the inevitable words of Chris Farley, aka Mike Donnely...."THAT WAS AWESOME"! Dude, that was pretty cool how you prepared yourself to fight the cougar. You're living life to its fullest my friend. Next time I go out, I'm carrying a huge knife with me and when I get to my spot I'm gonna stick it in the ground next to me. Pretty cool man, you're my hero...
I didnt think it was too cool at the time. I was terrified to be honest.
But I am sure I would have won the fight.
AssumingI could have made it somewhere before bleeding to death if I had been caught with a paw.
http://www.coldsteel.com/fixed-blades-trail-master-series.html

Old 01-07-2007, 08:47 PM

Still pretty freakin cool. Well I'm doing it in your honor and if I do end up fighting a panther, just before I gouge it with my knife I'm going to shout "This is for Bale Scout"! HA HA! None the less, thanks for sharing your experience, I think I have more courage now.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:02 PM

Let's just hope you never have to.

But I do appreciate the "Battle Cry"

I think everyone should carry a Bowie.
Best outdoor multi-purpose tool. IMO
Old 01-08-2007, 06:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would recomend starting with something smaller and less dangerous like a muskrat or oppossum.

Still pretty freakin cool. Well I'm doing it in your honor and if I do end up fighting a panther, just before I gouge it with my knife I'm going to shout "This is for Bale Scout"! HA HA! None the less, thanks for sharing your experience, I think I have more courage now.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:10 PM
RMA
Fork Horn

l called one in 3 years ago to 16 yeards while elk hunting. It was a RUSH!
Old 01-11-2007, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

[quote]ORIGINAL: furgitter

I would recomend starting with something smaller and less dangerous like a muskrat or oppossum.
LOL