Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Cougar

Old 01-06-2007, 05:50 AM

Default Cougar

I hunt in the UP and could've swore I seena cougarin the dark before but my eyes/mind could have been playing tricks on me. I haven't called the DNR yet, but my question is, if I ever came face to face with one (God I hope not) can I or should I shoot it?
Old 01-06-2007, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Cougar

Why don't you try looking in your states regs? I would think you would know if it's illegal or not. I mean you have wolves and wolverines, I don't see why you wouldn;t have cougars.
Old 01-06-2007, 10:35 AM

I know there is cougar, I was just interested in everyone's response
Old 01-06-2007, 10:42 AM
Fork Horn

Hey, I think it's great that you saw one. We have Eastern Cougars the odd time around here which are much smaller than the Western Mountain Lion. We have Lynx by the hundreds. But why would you want to shoot it if it's not doing you any harm?
Old 01-06-2007, 10:58 AM

Protected Wildlife

Eagles, hawks, owls, swans, spruce and sharp-tailed grouse, wolverines, wolves, lynx, moose, cougars, cub bears and sows accompanied by cubs, and all white or albino deer may not be taken at any time. All nongame birds are protected, except starlings, English sparrows and feral pigeons.
Certain exotic cervids (members of the deer and elk family) found outside of a fence of a registered cervidae facility for more than 12 hours may be taken by hunting year-round if the individual has a valid hunting license. Please contact the nearest DNR Operations Service Center for further information.

I guess that answers my question. All I would have to say is it would suck to be sitting there with a loaded 7mag waiting for a Panther to pounce on me. Oh well, they're so slick that it would've already pounced on me before I even knew it.
Old 01-06-2007, 10:59 AM

ORIGINAL: DARKSIDE55

Hey, I think it's great that you saw one. We have Eastern Cougars the odd time around here which are much smaller than the Western Mountain Lion. We have Lynx by the hundreds. But why would you want to shoot it if it's not doing you any harm?
Just very afraid of them is all. I don't really want to harm it. Do you think one will attack me if I don't give it any reason to?
Old 01-06-2007, 11:13 AM

I've never replied to my own post as much as this one, here's an informative link. Man, I love answering my own questions. Althought the link states they rarely attack humans I'll still have to research the stats on that one, especially for Michigan. My own cat attacks me at home, what makes me think the bigger ones wont!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puma
Old 01-07-2007, 04:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Out west i gotta believe i was stalked before,but as soon as i turned and looked atthem,they got nervous and ran.If you see one,dont turn your back on him,dont run.Thats the best advice i can give you bud,good luck!
Old 01-07-2007, 10:06 AM

ORIGINAL: M77man

I hunt in the UP and could've swore I seena cougarin the dark before but my eyes/mind could have been playing tricks on me. I haven't called the DNR yet, but my question is, if I ever came face to face with one (God I hope not) can I or should I shoot it?
I have been face to face with "Panther" (with no dogs)on a few occasions.
The most intense was...
I was on the ground crouched under a cedar tree...
I had already seenthe Pantherstalking a deer 300 yards off as I was stalking a bachelor group of 3 in a brush field.
Our stalks brought us to within 75 yards from each another.
At this point I abandoned my stalk andput a knee down under the mentioned cedartoobserve the Panther.
I watchedit take the whitetail and then it immediately turned its attention to me.
I knew it couldnt smell me and it was dark by this point so at first I just watched hopeing it wasnt coming my way, but it was. In a semi-circle.
I unsheathed my knife and laid it on the earth by my knee.
It got closer and closer.
I drew my bow back and thought 15yards no problem, then the thought crossed my mind of wounded ticked off cat in its enviroment...It should run off when shotbut who knows I thought.
I let my bow down and continued to stare in its eyes. I couldnt really see its eyes but I could "feel" or connection.
My heart was as pounding at this point.
The Panther sit on its haunches and lowered its head I saw the tail whip. It was around20 ft away I guess...
I jumped up with knife in hand and holding my bow as a shield.
The panther jetted off to its right...

I dont think you need to worry about an attack by a Puma as long as you make yourself known.
I am sure the panther I had my run in with was only triing to see what it needed to protect its food from.
"I always watch my back whenmy face is in the wind."
Old 01-07-2007, 10:34 AM

ORIGINAL: Baleful Scout

ORIGINAL: M77man

I have been face to face with "Panther" (with no dogs)on a few occasions.
The most intense was...
I was on the ground crouched under a cedar tree...
I had already seenthe Pantherstalking a deer 300 yards off as I was stalking a bachelor group of 3 in a brush field.
Our stalks brought us to within 75 yards from each another.
At this point I abandoned my stalk andput a knee down under the mentioned cedartoobserve the Panther.
I watchedit take the whitetail and then it immediately turned its attention to me.
I knew it couldnt smell me and it was dark by this point so at first I just watched hopeing it wasnt coming my way, but it was. In a semi-circle.
I unsheathed my knife and laid it on the earth by my knee.
It got closer and closer.
I drew my bow back and thought 15yards no problem, then the thought crossed my mind of wounded ticked off cat in its enviroment...It should run off when shotbut who knows I thought.
I let my bow down and continued to stare in its eyes. I couldnt really see its eyes but I could "feel" or connection.
My heart was as pounding at this point.
The Panther sit on its haunches and lowered its head I saw the tail whip. It was around20 ft away I guess...
I jumped up with knife in hand and holding my bow as a shield.
The panther jetted off to its right...

I dont think you need to worry about an attack by a Puma as long as you make yourself known.
I am sure the panther I had my run in with was only triing to see what it needed to protect its food from.
"I always watch my back whenmy face is in the wind."
In the inevitable words of Chris Farley, aka Mike Donnely...."THAT WAS AWESOME"! Dude, that was pretty cool how you prepared yourself to fight the cougar. You're living life to its fullest my friend. Next time I go out, I'm carrying a huge knife with me and when I get to my spot I'm gonna stick it in the ground next to me. Pretty cool man, you're my hero...

Quick Reply: Cougar

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.