" />

Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 does anyone here believe that black bears are more dangerous than grizzly's >

does anyone here believe that black bears are more dangerous than grizzly's

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
View Poll Results: A poll
YES
18.32%
NO
71.76%
MAYBE
9.92%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

does anyone here believe that black bears are more dangerous than grizzly's

Old 03-05-2007, 05:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: does anyone here believe that black bears are more dangerous than grizzly's

Any thing can be dangerous,even a properly armed 2 year old.A rake in your yard,an ex wife.....But any animal trying to taste or eat me is getting a facefull of lead if i have the means to do it.I dont even understand why this would be a question....im sure its that way in everyones book.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: does anyone here believe that black bears are more dangerous than grizzly's

the black bears here in Florida are especially dangerous, just like our gators. we owe this to the ignorant people who like to feed these animals so they can get pictures or have them in their backyard. they don't realize these animals are wild and never will be tame. they will feed them for months and brag about it to others until one day their child/grandchild get's eat'n....then it's kill them all.anyone caught feeding these animals (bears/gators) ought to be charged with manslaughter when someone is killed by one in the area they are feeding.

i appologize for my rant, i can't recall of anyone being killed by a bear in my area in a looong time BUT our gators normally kill a half dozen people a year.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:59 PM

Some posts seriously amaze me...and this is one of them!!! I can't believe this made it to six pages and is still a hot topic!
Old 03-07-2007, 07:12 PM
Typical Buck

both can be just as dangerous as the other depending on the circumstances, but generally if you curl up in a ball a grizzly will beat you a bit and hopefully leave. With a black bear your best bet is to go 4 the eyes and/or nose cuz they will typically commit to killing you and theyll go all the way..........
Old 04-05-2007, 06:51 PM

GRIZZ'S are like black's on steroids... What I mean by that is that a grizz is unpredictible and highly contancerous at times where as a black can be nasty but usually will leave you alone...
Old 04-17-2007, 09:40 PM

ORIGINAL: Hiawatha

Fuzzyballs, a few of the books i have read written by the same guy who handles hundreds of bear attack cases in western Canadaclaims that he has had enough cases of grizz climbing trees come across his desk now to form the theory that grizz will climb trees up until age 4-6 because they loose their ability to grip/turn paw unlike the blackie who retains this the full lifespan. Weird i never knew that was possible. I just read over this stuff again last night cause it got me interested again. There is one story where a bear used the limbs to climb much like that of a human except the bear hooked its wrists over the limbsand another where the bear just hugged the tree and scuried up. There was one pretty bad one also where the bear would climb the tree, get the victims foot in its mouth then let go of the tree, free falling 25 feet taking the human with them. The bear did this to a guy twice, was unreal. I thought this info was pretty interesting so i thought i'd share. I read alot of bear attack books, bout all that can keep my attention.
I have never encountered a bear, but everything I've read would fit the analogy of fighting Mike Tyson or Lenox Lewis - The Grizzly (Lewis) is gonna hit you the hardest of the two (http://www.secondsout.com/usa/colcohen.cfm?ccs=527&cs=20590 but he has more manners. They usually just want you out of their face. Tyson (Black Bear) is also an extremely hard hitter.... but he's gonna bite your ear off too. lmao

I've read that Grizzlies can hook-climb up until about 3-5 - their claws grow straight at that point. After that though, they 'hug-climb'

http://www.canoe-kayak.org/pages/a24.html

"All black bears (even adults) hook-climb trees; grizzlies hook-climb until their third or fourth year, after which, their claws straighten and they can no longer scamper up trunks. They can, however, climb by lunging or hugging the tree. The bottom line is that all bears (except polar bears) can climb trees as well or better than most people. If a bear wants what's in a tree, the bear will get it! Given this fact, why is it that BWCA campers emphatically believe that treeing a food pack will keep it safe from bears? Or, that if you climb a tree you will be safe from bears. Indeed, Shelton describes many cases where people have climbed trees to escape predacious bears (both black and grizzlies) only to discover that the bears climbed up after them! Shelton's studies show that the bear was often able to climb the tree and pull the human out of it! Human tree climbers who survived a "tree-climbing bear attack", did so by poking the bear with a stick or other object. Persistent stick-poking--not inability of the bear to climb the tree--was what saved the day."

EDIT - first link breaks but a copy and paste to the address bar works... when you click the link it makes the link
http://www.secondsout.com/usa/colcohen.cfm?ccs=527&cs=20590%29... take off those last three characters and the link works, not sure why its injected into the link.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:49 PM

I had an encounter with a black bear once while on a float trip on the Buffalo River in Arkansas a few years back. It was my fault, I left some stuff out that attracted him. I heard something at night, I thought it was a raccoon, opened the flap and looked out. Sucker was about 15 feet away. Fired a shot with the .357 in the dirt next to it and lined up for a shot on the animal, but he moved out of there faster than I thought a bear could move. Couldn't get back to sleep after that.
Old 04-18-2007, 04:33 PM

I have had about 10 encounters in my life with Black Bears.

Once when I was taking a shortcut through the woods, I came across a mother bear and her 3 cubs.

She chased them up a cherry tree about 30 or more feet off the ground and then she stood on the other side of the gas line and chomped her teeth at me.

I spoke softly and told her several times that I was not going to hurt her or her cubs and walked between her and the tree that her cubs were in.

I'm still alive.

I do not think that you could have done that with any other type of bear.

I have also walked to within 30 feet of a black bear while hunting deer in the woods in the month of December in Pennsylvania.

Bears goes into a semi hybernation until the first week of December when it gets cold outside.

Back in the day when we had deer in PA, the bears would wake up and go out into the woods and eat as many gut piles as they could find and then go back to sleep.

If it is still warm out in December and there is lots of food for them to eat, they will not hybernate until sometime in the middle of January.

I have seen bear tracks in the woods in December, Janurary and Feburary 30 years ago. We had some bad winters back then so it was not because it was warm outside. Probably just something to do with the amount of food available and lack of somplace for them to den up in.
Old 04-21-2007, 02:34 PM

no i do not believe that all black bears are more dangerous than grizzlies
Old 04-22-2007, 07:06 AM
Typical Buck

I believe this. They both will eat you. They both have 10 times the strength of a human. And both really don't want to be bothered. Pack an adequate side arm and don't worry about it.

Quick Reply: does anyone here believe that black bears are more dangerous than grizzly's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.