" />

Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 does anyone here believe that black bears are more dangerous than grizzly's >

does anyone here believe that black bears are more dangerous than grizzly's

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
View Poll Results: A poll
YES
18.32%
NO
71.76%
MAYBE
9.92%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

does anyone here believe that black bears are more dangerous than grizzly's

Old 03-03-2007, 08:26 AM

Default RE: does anyone here believe that black bears are more dangerous than grizzly's

ORIGINAL: Hiawatha

Fuzzyballs, a few of the books i have read written by the same guy who handles hundreds of bear attack cases in western Canadaclaims that he has had enough cases of grizz climbing trees come across his desk now to form the theory that grizz will climb trees up until age 4-6 because they loose their ability to grip/turn paw unlike the blackie who retains this the full lifespan. Weird i never knew that was possible. I just read over this stuff again last night cause it got me interested again. There is one story where a bear used the limbs to climb much like that of a human except the bear hooked its wrists over the limbsand another where the bear just hugged the tree and scuried up. There was one pretty bad one also where the bear would climb the tree, get the victims foot in its mouth then let go of the tree, free falling 25 feet taking the human with them. The bear did this to a guy twice, was unreal. I thought this info was pretty interesting so i thought i'd share. I read alot of bear attack books, bout all that can keep my attention.

I don't have so much pride that I can't admit when I may be wrong. Apparently I need to do some more homework. I'm not a super man and I certainly don't know it all!!!! Now you have stirred my interest and I'll have to do some more research myself!

I have an amazing book called "Bear Attacks of the Century." It is based on the coastal bears in Alaska, and it is actualy survivor stories. Great book that is able to hold your interest because it is a series of well written shorter stories.

It's actually the book that solidified my dream of taking a coastal bear. In one of the stories the bear is shot in the EYE with a 30.06 from 30 yards out. The round was unable to penetrate the skull of the 900 lb bear which barely flinched when it was hit. The bear attacked and only left when it lost interest in the victim. It was a well placed shot to the spinal column that finally took the bear with a .300 H&H.

Old 03-03-2007, 08:32 AM

Default RE: does anyone here believe that black bears are more dangerous than grizzly's

ORIGINAL: NoKnees

I am not really that worried about either. I figure I am more likely to get myself hurt by falling, or poking my eye out with a stick than having a problem with either.

Of course here in the US in about 95% of the terrain there aren't any griz so no worries. Blackies are much more comman and have some nasty habits like stealing food from backpackers.. even bluff charging to get hikers to drop packs. Any time your in real close proximity to a decent sized wild animal there is risk.

A couple of years agoI was in a NP and an Bull elk with hard antlers some how wondered into a campsite and got surrounded by tourists.. It was totally confused. Some little girl 8-10 years old tried to hand feed it. That was scary.

How many Griz fatalities do we have in North America every year? How many from blackies? Hell I would be more worried about hypothermia..I would bet its about 50 times more likely to kill you than either bear.
HAHA....good point!......ACTUALLY THE NUMBER ONE KILLER IN THE WOODS.......HEART ATTACK!!! Middle age man that spend 11 months and two weeks of the year sitting at a desk and eating twinkies for dinner decides it's a good idea to clammer up a ridge line or pull himself and 50 lbs of clothes andgear upinto atree stand.....or even gets himself so worked up at the site of that little three pointbuck coming over the hill that he goes into cardiac arrest. The ultimate buck fever!

Followed by, you guessed it, hypothermia....then drowning; which i especially common in fly fishermen!
Old 03-03-2007, 08:38 AM

Wow i will possibly look for that book fuzzy who is the author? I read all of James Gary Shelton's books, this guy knows his stuff. He talks about defense techniques, myths vs reality, bear populations, bear behavior and tons of attack stories from B.C, Alberta and a few in sask as well. There are survivor stories but there are also stories where it did not end happily. I think he has out 4 or 5 books now, i haven't gottem all yet but will soon.
Old 03-03-2007, 08:47 AM

ORIGINAL: Hiawatha

Wow i will possibly look for that book fuzzy who is the author? I read all of James Gary Shelton's books, this guy knows his stuff. He talks about defense techniques, myths vs reality, bear populations, bear behavior and tons of attack stories from B.C, Alberta and a few in sask as well. There are survivaor stories but there are also stories where it did not end happily. I think he has out 4 or 5 books now, i haven't gottem all yet but will soon.
I will find the author for you, if I don't PM it to you in the next day or so...justPM me and remind me. I think the book is in my camper, which is put up for the winter.

If you can't find the book up there I don't mind sending you mine, Ihave read it twice andwould hate to be selfish and bogart such a fun book to read. I'm going to look up Shelton and read some of hisstuff. Thanks for the info dude!

Old 03-03-2007, 08:50 AM

K thanks fuzzy but no need to go rootin through the camper for it.[8D] I have the title down i can run a search at the university catalogue that will pull it up. I'll be able to get it and if they don't have it i can get it in no prob. thanks for the help. Here is a link to the books i am talkin about
http://www.allbookstores.com/author/James_Gary_Shelton.html ihavethe 1st and second book on this list and they are awesome.
Old 03-03-2007, 09:56 AM

ORIGINAL: Fuzzyballs44

HAHA....good point!......ACTUALLY THE NUMBER ONE KILLER IN THE WOODS.......HEART ATTACK!!! Middle age man that spend 11 months and two weeks of the year sitting at a desk and eating twinkies for dinner decides it's a good idea to clammer up a ridge line or pull himself and 50 lbs of clothes andgear upinto atree stand.....or even gets himself so worked up at the site of that little three pointbuck coming over the hill that he goes into cardiac arrest. The ultimate buck fever!

Followed by, you guessed it, hypothermia....then drowning; which i especially common in fly fishermen!
Heart Attack.. back when I was 22 and a stud. I shot a deer a few miles from the road.. I almost had a heart attack in the 12 hours it took me to drag it out.. Then exhausted soaked from sweat.. almost got hypothermia.

Thinking of it.. Cougars.. they wierd me out a little.. especially those one in california that move down to the suburbs to find some chow. And you will never know they are coming.

Ok back to bears
Old 03-03-2007, 12:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

As far as im conserned,Carry a gun.ANY bear that knows you are there,and is coming your way,is agressive,shoot to kill and worry about the report later.
Old 03-03-2007, 12:55 PM

ORIGINAL: NoKnees

ORIGINAL: Fuzzyballs44

Heart Attack.. back when I was 22 and a stud. I shot a deer a few miles from the road.. I almost had a heart attack in the 12 hours it took me to drag it out.. Then exhausted soaked from sweat.. almost got hypothermia.

Thinking of it.. Cougars.. they wierd me out a little.. especially those one in california that move down to the suburbs to find some chow. And you will never know they are coming.

Ok back to bears
HAHAHA....This made me laugh!

When I was 16 we were up hunting elk during archery season. We spotted a cat that was sunning itself on a razorback about 500 yards away from us. When we started cow callin' that cat took off at a dead sprint down the glade and we watched as it started up our side again. THAT nearly gave me a heart attack....and ruined a good pair of under shorts!.....speaking of cougars.....but I digress......

Back to bears!

~Cam

P.S. Moose terrify me more than any bear or cat.....if you have ever been around them, they are some mean son-of-a-bitches that don't have a predator when they are grown

NOOOOWWWW back to bears....
Old 03-04-2007, 08:09 PM

Black bears are not more dangerous than Grizzleys. Period. What's the discussion?
Old 03-04-2007, 09:22 PM

If you go through, that's pretty much what everyone's said!

Quick Reply: does anyone here believe that black bears are more dangerous than grizzly's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.