Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Game Retrieval Services on USFS Land >

Game Retrieval Services on USFS Land

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Game Retrieval Services on USFS Land

Old 11-26-2002, 01:39 PM
Typical Buck

Default Game Retrieval Services on USFS Land

The USFS licenses outfitters to provide game retrieval services. The trouble is, this is a conflict of interest because a) outfitters don't want residents or unguided hunters deep in their units, b) most operate their hunting camps on a shoestring; diverting staff and stock fer low dollar services doesn't help them run their camps.

So, I would like each and every hunter hunting on Forest Service land to identify the outfitter in their unit, and request information about game retrieval. If the outfitter refuses or denies offering the service, please report this to the local USFS office. In my area, outfitters do not provide game retrieval on an as needed basis, and self-guided hunters are SOL. I have requested a license to offer such a service, only to be told by the USFS that there are sufficient existing licensed outfitters to provide this service to the public. The fact that they did not provide the service was immaterial to the Forest Service. I see it as a matter of equity.

BJ
Old 11-26-2002, 03:17 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-26-2002, 03:42 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Game Retrieval Services on USFS Land

It depends on their special use permits, but in Wyoming at least, game retrieval permits are granted to those with big game outfitting licenses. The outfitter may sell that portion of his business and transfer the permit, but none do because they don't want that activity to happen in their units. There is a game retrieval service in Jackson, I don't know who he bought his permit from. But in my area, none of the 18 outfitters will offer or advertise game retrieval services and they hold the only permits! I'm convinced that self-guided hunters would like to have a method of hunting without horses deeper into the wilderness or other forest property, and still be assured of adequate care of the meat and trophy. Just another case of government pandering to the special interests at the lil' guy's expense.

BJ
Old 11-26-2002, 05:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Being the license was issued by the forest service maybe everyone should call them requesting a list of the outfitters that offer the service .If they got enough calls it might turn the light on it . They control it so let them produce it .If you have a # I will give them a call .I hunt in Wy .
Old 11-26-2002, 06:55 PM
Typical Buck

Here you go halcon. The Bridger-Teton Supervisor's office is in Jackson 307-739-5500. Tell 'em yer interested in a list of outfitters offering game retrieval in the Wind River range. You'll git a list, but nobody on it will haul out yer elk.

BJ
Old 11-28-2002, 11:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the # I will give them a call monday .