Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Old 12-27-2006, 01:14 AM

Default RE: .223

If you want to get close a make a well-placed shot, just get a bow.
Old 12-27-2006, 01:33 AM

I swear this is getting so old. I am to a point where I can hardly take coming on here because of these same old post.[:@]
Old 12-27-2006, 08:38 AM

I agree muley69!

First of all readyfireaim . . . It SHOULD BE "ready . . .aim . . .fire!"

You have to aim before you fire! My advice to you . . . save all the hunting money and go buy yourself a side of beef. You can't hunt big game anywhere with .223.
Elk in Calif.? Yeah, but you have property in Colo.? Hunt elk there. Calif elk are Roosevelt and getting a license if you could find permission to hunt, would be extremely hard to draw (I suspect). My uncle was the last person I know to live and hunt in CA and he had trouble getting a deer license much less find somewhere to hunt them.

I don't know why I'm even responding . . .
Old 12-27-2006, 09:18 AM

At first I thought this was a joke. Or at least should be.

First off, a .223 is not a legal calibre for elk ANYWHERE!

Unfortunately it is legal for deer in many states Nebraska and Texas I know for sure

do as game4lunch suggests
Old 12-27-2006, 10:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: game4lunch

You can't hunt big game anywhere with .223.
ORIGINAL: Crittergitter

First off, a .223 is not a legal calibre for elk ANYWHERE!
Not true.

.223 is legal for any game in Texas. Probably other states as well. The only restriction here is :
White-tailed deer, mule deer, desert bighorn sheep, and pronghorn antelope may NOT be hunted with rimfire ammunition of any caliber.
Elk, in Texas, are classified as an "exotic" species, which is non-native game that has been introduced from elsewhere. Others in this category include blackbuck, nilgai, red stag, gemsbok, oryx, etc., etc. There are NO regulations as to the firearms that can be used on exotic species, so LEGALLY, you could even use a .22 short. Obviously, this is not a MORAL or ETHICAL choice, and the ranches where these game might be hunted will have some say as to what cartridges can be used on their ranches.

Also, under California law, I think they have the same rule for big game. The only restriction is it must be a centerfire cartridge with an expanding bullet. Here's a quote from their fish & game site:

ยง353. Methods Authorized for Taking Big Game.
(a) Except for the provisions of subsections 353(b) through (g), title 14, CCR, big game (as defined by section 350, title 14, CCR) may only be taken by rifles using centerfire cartridges with softnose or expanding bullets; bow and arrow (see section 354, title 14, CCR, for archery equipment regulations); or wheellock, matchlock, flintlock or percussion type, including "in-line" muzzleloading rifles using black powder or equivalent black powder substitute, including pellets, with single ball or bullet loaded from the muzzle and at least .40 caliber in designation.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:28 AM
Spike

ORIGINAL: Readyfireaim

people make fun of me cause im from WI, it's just a funny pic I found about where im from.
Admit it dude, you are the one on the left.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:31 AM

Yeah, and that's his brother Darrel, and his other brother Darrel!
Old 12-28-2006, 08:13 AM

Elk, in Texas, are classified as an "exotic" species, which is non-native game that has been introduced from elsewhere. Others in this category include blackbuck, nilgai, red stag, gemsbok, oryx, etc., etc. There are NO regulations as to the firearms that can be used on exotic species, so LEGALLY, you could even use a .22 short. Obviously, this is not a MORAL or ETHICAL choice, and the ranches where these game might be hunted will have some say as to what cartridges can be used on their ranches.[/quote]
[/quote]

Well, my bad.

Thanks for the info. but like you point out "Obviously, this is not a MORAL or ETHICAL choice"
Old 12-28-2006, 01:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Crittergiter

Well, my bad.

Thanks for the info. but like you point out "Obviously, this is not a MORAL or ETHICAL choice"
I think a lot of folks would be surprised at the number of states that allow using a .223 for big game animals.
Old 12-28-2006, 02:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am assuming that this post is a joke and also want to say that I laughed my Arse off at your signature line as well as your name there ready..fire..aim---that is too funny. Let us know when you'reREALLY serious.