Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Looking to hunt Elk.

Old 01-12-2007, 10:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Looking to hunt Elk.

Though I've exercised and take long brisk walks and 20 of so flights of stairs every day at work, I still was whooped again the first day of our WY Elk hunt in late Nov. this year. We averaged 8-10 miles / day up and down ridges and drawn, sidehills, etc. at about 5,000-6,000 ft. The first day was one that I'll not forget. I've never been so beat in all of my life, not even in Army basic. Maybe it was closer to Ranger training. The following day we did less hiking and making more contacts with locals for access and information. Day 3we made use of the information we got and started getting closer to Elk, but were busted by the wind taking our scent over 1/2 mile to the other side of the ridge and the herd took off. Day 4 we learn from our mistakes still hicking back in 4+ miles back from even a gravel road, where the Elk felt safer. We got a couple of real nice mature cows. Day 5 we spent all day getting them out of that rugged country. Thank God for finding someone who'd do us a favor and helped us with horses and mules for it would have be 2 more days of Ranger training.
Old 01-12-2007, 11:38 PM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

6' 250# ? Ouch. I'm 6'2" 190#, but got it down to 180# for my Nevada bowhunt this year. I was worried that was too much! Even if you have a muscular build I'd highly recommendlosing a bunch of weight now. Use your trip as incentive to push away from the table. You'd be surprised how easy the weight will fall off. Here's what to do.1. Get used to drinking nothing but water. No sodas especially. 2. No fast food, no fries, no burgers, no fried food. Go to Subwayif you want to eat out. 3. Eat all the fruits and vegetables you want. Gorge yourself if you must. Watermellon in the summer works great for me. 4. No dairy products of any kind. 5. Excercise slowly at first. Brisk walking daily to start. Then a light jog every other day.Upper body weights are less important than flat out running or biking with those those legs. Do all the situps you can daily.

Last year in May I weighed 223# when I knew I needed to finally do something. I drew a once-in-a-lifetime NV archery elk tag and used this for my incentive to change. By doing the above things I lost 45# in 60 days. Biking 3 times a week in the summer heat helped a lot. I ate that Nevada mountain for lunch while losing another 10# hunting. Weighed in at 170# at the end. I felt great. Since that time I put a bit back on due to the winter restricting activities, but I'm still 190# right now. Will be back to 180# when spring allows me to resume my biking.

I am also from Indiana, up by Schererville. I've been out west about 8 trips for elk, mostly archery. I can assure you you must be in shape to do it. Get you Wyoming point this year, and apply in New Mexico. Use Colorado as a last resort. It's OK for a cow hunt. Also you can hunt small 6x6's and 5x5's with 2 or three CO preference points. Then apply anywhere else you can afford.

I've taken 3 bulls from 320" to 350". All came from hard work in tough terrain. If you can't lose this weight I would not go to the mountains. You will be much better off for it if you can lose it. At 250" you are at serious risk for diabetes.
Old 01-13-2007, 11:14 AM
Fork Horn

I'll be happy with 225 ponds. I want to keep my strength, and build on endurance.
Rapid weight loss can be very dangerous, be careful and smart.
Old 01-13-2007, 12:08 PM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

Even if you have a muscular build the healthy weight for your height is well below 200#, I can assure you that. Do an internet search on height/weight ratios. I can also assure you you can do it. Just put your mind to it and change habits. Don't diet or count calories. You can chow down on fruits & vegetables and I can assure you you will drop weight like a rock.

I was at 230+ for 5-7 years until I changed my mindset. Now it takes no effort at all to keep weight down. These fast food places all over the place really suck. They train people that it is normal to eat like that and it is not. Especially in Indy you are surrounded by fast food places. You need to understand these should be avoided like the plague. Learn to hang out in the fresh produce section of your grocery store. 90% of your shopping should be here. Screw the center isles. Let fruit replace all sweets in your life. I don't even put sugar in my coffee anymore.

The benefit you will gain from quiting cold turkey far outweighs any rapid weight loss risk. People love to use that for an excuse. Like I said you can gorge yourself on vegetables. There's no danger in that. Your body will love it.

While you are surfing check out the increase in diabetes in our country. Fast food and sugar is about 95% of the reason for this. Sugar is in freakin everything at McDonald's except black coffee and two other items, can't remember which. Even the salads have sugar.

I cannot tell you how much better I feel now. I am 47 and love to hunt in the mountains.When I gotover 200# I began having problems elk hunting, not being able to chase them quickly.Having to stop often. My joy was being taken away from me. I have it back now. I never want to lose it again.

Of the 3 bulls I have taken, I would have gotten a grand total of zero of the three had I not been in good shape. Yes I could have taken some smaller bulls in a couple of these primo hunts, but I trophy hunt and have to pass many satellites.

Let me tell you something. You will be amazed how easy the pounds fall off if you make these changes. It will be effortless.

One other consideration, over the years I have been there whenthe bodies of two hunters had to be hauled off the mountain due to dying of heart attacks. Both in New Mexico. Both were overweight.
Old 01-14-2007, 05:28 PM
Fork Horn

Hello Zim,
First off, congrates to the Bears, they almost blew it....it'd be really cool if both our teams was playing in February.

Maybe I should have elaborated more in mylast post, I'm not arguing with your points or reasoning, I agree with almost all of it.
BothDoctorsand dietitionsinsist to loose 3-5 per week max (my wife is a nurse also...not that it matters as much)
Rapid loss iskindajust a temp fix andis very hard on the heart, plus theweight usually comes from the wrong parts of the body.
Idid returned tosome bad eating habits over the couple of last year,andstarted makingcorrections back in November/December....the holidays didn't help very much.
Calories and constant exercise is the best long term plan, as long as that person doesn't become discouraged when the scale doesn't show instant results.
Metabolism is key to taking it off and leaving it off.

Restaurants across the board,are not good for you, even the sub shops.
Sodas, fries, mayo, dressings are so unbelievealbly bad they should be labeled by the surgeon general.
The frozen diet meals aren'tentirely diet, butarestructured towardsserving sizeand squared food groups. They are my lunches again,with snacksbeing bananas, apples,carrots, and for a treat,one serving of Baked BBQ Lays.
Tea and Coke Zero aremy choice drinks.

With all that being said, I'm still just a deer hunter, no grand illusions of being a mountain man or an elk hunter. Isimply want to go out west and experience somethings so incredible, that itcan onlybewitnessed first hand.
If it's a life changing experience, I'llgo again when I can afford it.
Old 01-15-2007, 03:38 PM
Typical Buck

Colo OTC tags. JustDO it man.

The alt is a factor tho and the solution is WATER. Drink gallons of it ev day. And bring some ibuprofen.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:56 AM
Fork Horn

Hey Zim,
Bears-Colts for the Super Bowl....looks like our dreams are realized.
I also grew up in NW Indiana (Kentland) so a lot of my friends & family are Chicago fans....traitors!!!

As far as "the hunt" plans are concerned, I've lost 15 lbs so far andit appears we found a good & affordableguide to take us.
All I have to do is keep at it and"hurry up and wait!"

Good luck to both teams, and hope for a good safe game.

Go Colts!

Old 01-26-2007, 04:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

That was an awfully strange transition... from talking Elk hunting... going to talking"The Bears". [&:]
Old 01-26-2007, 05:03 PM

It is all in how much you want to be successful.I'm with zim no matter how good of shape you are in, it's never enough when you get up there and find you need to go further up.I wouldsay a min. of 10 days for a DIY. It takes a few days to get used to the elevation.warning it can be very addicting I have been clean for about 8 years now but I have 2 pts. for a montana tag this fall.

[/align]
Old 01-26-2007, 07:38 PM
Fork Horn

....when the hunting season is over, you've gotta fill the void.

It's Super Bowl time, Zim is a Chicagoian and I'm from Indianapolis.

p.s. When football is over, racingsteps inquite nicely.

Quick Reply: Looking to hunt Elk.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.