Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Looking to hunt Elk.

Old 12-03-2006, 02:50 PM
EKM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Looking to hunt Elk.

"....we went out there like we were hunting whittail in the east,I went out there with snow boots,heavy clothes,no compass,and a borrowed rifle that was chamberd in 270 with a box of 130gr psp.And my hunting partners were just as ill prepard as I was...."

That first DIY year can be a tough one.
Going out half arsed for deer still will likely get you a deer....
Going out half arsed for elk will very likely get you nothing except some pointers on what NOT to do the next time.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:22 PM
GCW

EKM,We learned alot the first year we went out to CO.By year 2 we were perpard enough that we looked like we new what we were doing,it wasnt till the 3rd year that we started killing elk.The 2 most important thing that helped us to start killing elk on our DIY hunt was when we relized that elk were not nere the roads and we needed to get into remote areas to see them,and it was better to go out a few days before the season and scout,this ment less time hunting but added up to seeing and killing elk.Our mulley ratio went down but we did kill more elk
Old 12-03-2006, 09:44 PM

Read the latest Field and Stream about a first time elk hunter. Start exercising six months early. Walk your legs off. Find some steps like a high school football stadium and start walking them. When you hunt elk bring Ibuprofen or Motrin (prescription strength) and use them. You will feel like you didduring the high school football season,and worse.

That said, it is awesome seeing elk in the wild and hunting them. Good luck getting a shot off. They are always on the move and you have to be in the right place at the right time. MV out!
Old 12-04-2006, 06:06 AM
EKM
Typical Buck

"....Our mulley ratio went down but we did kill more elk...."
If one is serious about elk, then IMO the muley ratio is a good one to have go down... for me they are an unwelcome distraction.
You'd be hard pressed to get me to take a shot at a muley while elk hunting.
Old 12-04-2006, 01:08 PM
GCW

EKM,the first few years that we went out there we were happy to get a shot at anything,and I always seemed to have luck at getting a muley.But after a few years we started to go after elk more,we contined to kill a few mulys but we also killed more elk,cows and bulls
Old 12-07-2006, 11:27 AM
Fork Horn

I'vestarted upmy old diet routine, by riding a stationary bike 30 min a day and cutting the calorie intake, justlike Alsatian suggested.
My last weightloss stint took me from 265 to 230 in about6-8 months, but I hit a wall and just wouldn't loose anymore.
Myplan is to loosea few more pounds, bump the cardioup and getthe metabolism working better.
Once that kicks in, I can concentrate on the strength training.
Kindalike a domino effect, don't try to doit all at once.

I'm still having a hard time narrowing down a guide....or an exact state.
So if you have a friend, or a friend of a friend, thatswears by one, let me know.
My projected limit is $3500,not includingexpenses.
Old 12-17-2006, 05:26 PM
Typical Buck

Are you looking for meat or rack? If you don't mind, how about WA? Archery is your best bet here. I started elk hunting 6 years ago and managed to get one every year.
Old 12-17-2006, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think every first timer should shoot a doe before a buck,just to take the edge off.I have never been to wa. but my brother has taken one he lives in lake sturds.Im thinking about Co. next year and ill take a bull,unless a big cow comes in first
Old 12-18-2006, 01:17 PM
Fork Horn

I'd be looking for a bull.
Not to offend anyone, butmeat isn't my top priority.
If it was,I probablycouldn't afford to even go.

My buddy is wanting to go, but he wants it to be a DIY.
Old 12-18-2006, 02:21 PM

I have been hunting Colorado 20 years in High altitude camp. I would have to agree on the cow tag, it is hard to get a bull but when they have to be4x4 or or have 5 inch brow tines to shoot. it becomes overwhelming for the new Elk Hunter. the first year take the pressure off and learn the game you are hunting. If you are going todo this with out a guide and go in deep you will have your hands full, expect the unexpected, be prepared for any contingency, never drop your guard. There is just to much to cover on the topic. In short you have three types of Elk hunter one payed for ranch hunt "easy street not much sport to me" two drive in hunter " You might see Elk" or the third pack in hunt" the pinnacle of Elk Hunting"
If you can make it up their, it does not matter how big your bull is. Its the fact you shot onein the high country and packed it out.

In the words of my Dad and Uncle

So You Want To Be An Elk Hunter!!!

I wish you the best and read.read.read. all you can on Elk Hunting.

Quick Reply: Looking to hunt Elk.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.