Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Have you ever found a Knife or other gear while on the hunt? >

Have you ever found a Knife or other gear while on the hunt?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Have you ever found a Knife or other gear while on the hunt?

Old 11-26-2006, 01:05 AM

Default Have you ever found a Knife or other gear while on the hunt?

Some of my best camp stories have revolved around items I have found
on the trail and in the bush. Some I have been able to return and have hadgear returned to me byother hunters. The laundry list of gear includes, Knives, compasses,f lashlights, more Knives, all manner of camp equipment as far as that goes partial camps strewn down the trail, more knives, boots, hats, a back pack that had been out for a year "no ID"it was tore up but containedA set of Nikon binoculars, two nice compasses, GPS garmon " I put new batts in and it still workedbut had no ID logged into it". When you find these items on the trail its one thing but when your of in the deep country it makes you think what the hell happened here.

My most memorable find is a Buck 119 Knife whileon a trophy mule deer huntnear bonderant Wyoming, some 13 miles from the trail head I shot my 5x5 33" but after I was done dressing him out there was a reflection of metal some ten feet away. Sure enough it wasa Buck 119 in good condition. I wrapped it between two sticks and duct taped it together and headed back to camp to relish in my new find and share the story with guys. Well, I put it away in my bag so when I got out I could get a sheath for it. You see, from that hunt I went directly tomy familyElk hunt in Colorado. So, on the wayI stoppedat a army surplus store in Glenwood Springs and picked up a temporary sheath until I could order one from Buck knives. Bad idea, some five miles from camp it slipped out of the cheap ass sheath and when i got back to camp I realized what happened so after all the guys had there turns joking about it. I set off on foot to re-trace my steps and hope I mightget lucky and find it again. Well, turns out that it broke outwhere I loaded up the horses but I found it. Returning to camp victoriouswe all had a good laugh about it. Now, the story is not over yet for you see, dad and I stop at theCabela's Sydney Nebraska store on our way home every year. While we were theirit dawned on us to check the bargain cave to see if they had any buck 119 knives returned broken that still had a sheath. You know what they didso went to check out. It wasat that point that the cashier inquired why I was buying a broken knife. So, I told her the storyshe inturn informed us that Buck knives had abooth set up on the other end of the store and that they may have a new sheath or send me one. Well, on this new intel dad and I went to the booth and you know what?... the guy sitting their was none other than Chuck Buck himself and he was signing knives. He took the time to hear the story of the knife that I found in Wyoming lost in Colorado only to find it again, and on this hetold me to go get it, so I did He engraved GOOD FIND STEW CHUCK BUCK and good hunting on the other side.

I take that knife on every trip it has a luck about it.
**note Chuck sent me a new 119 sheath. What agreat guy!

Old 11-26-2006, 06:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Have you ever found a Knife or other gear while on the hunt?

We'll maybe I should fly you to British Columbia so you can find
my list of gear......
Lets see..
1 Tackle box probably clse to $500-600 dollars worth of tackle not to mention license ( dumped in the Atnarko River) while I was Salmon fishing..
My favorite knife (grad present) just lost on the weekend...Fell off my belt buckle..
You get the picture...

Old 11-26-2006, 06:32 AM
Fork Horn

Three years ago I was on a pack-in elk hunt about 7 miles in and two off the trail.I was walking through some think brush, looked down at the right time, and found an Olympus OM-1 camera. Just out of curiosity I took it to Mike's Camera and the staff person told me the camera was made in the early 70s and would be worth quite a bit of money (if it worked) and the lens was w0rth even more (if it worked) Anyway, I have it on my reloading bench and would love to know how it ended up there etc.

CE
Old 11-26-2006, 07:03 AM

The best thing I ever found was my son's rifle. Hate to admit it, but my son and I left it behind about four miles from camp - so excited and busy boning and packing out his deer thathe thought I had his gun and I thought he had it. Worse yet, being in separate vehicles,we didn't notice until I was putting the guns back in the safe.

Following weekendwe had to gohunting again - for a rifle!To everyone's disbelief we weresuccessful. I seriously am thinking of getting a blaze orange synthetic stock put on it.

One thing I do not understandiscamoflauged gear.Iput bright reflective stickers or fat, bright colored lanyards on my camera, range finder, GPS, and binoculars. I do notwant my expensive stuff to be easier to lose.I suppose if I was in the business of selling the gear,I would want my customers to have camoflauge everything - and sometimes they actually charge more to make your stuff easier to lose!! They're pretty smart.

On the other hand, given the embarrasing story above, maybe I'm the only one who needs bright colored stuff!
Old 11-26-2006, 08:55 AM

Great posts guy's, these are the stories that really never get herd, now
I have never found a camera but my dad lost one this year on the pack out LOL"he thinks its by the game pole". Now on the rifle good work finding it that had to make yousick when you figured you left the gun.

Hear is a pic of the buck 119 that I found in Wyoming,lost in Colorado and found again.

Old 11-26-2006, 02:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I once found an Old Timer knife, still on the belt in the middle of nowhere while I was elk hunting. The kicker is it's the match to the one I was wearing on my belt! So know i have the set, one is the heavy bladed all purpose knife and the one I found was the skinning blade with gut hook. Awesome.
Old 11-26-2006, 03:48 PM

a small pair of Nikon binoc's and a bow-saw

early
Old 11-26-2006, 04:16 PM

I found a 50 dollar bill laying on the trail once, other than that just the odd pair of gloves is about all i can come up with.
Old 11-26-2006, 04:30 PM
Typical Buck

I have not found anything, but my buddy spoke with a guy that found a rifle case with 2 guns inside. We were told that a guy drove off and never closed his tail gate. The case slid out and the guy was gone.
Old 11-26-2006, 05:04 PM

yep just think how much stuff is out there, a few years back I was spotting and saw bits of metal from about 800 yards away lots of reflections, thought it was part of a plain crash or something big .
Turns out it was a survival blanket all tore up and strewn around a 10 yd area. looked around some more and found a military style vest "tore up good" but it contained three knives and a compass .

hear is a pic of the vest LOL

Quick Reply: Have you ever found a Knife or other gear while on the hunt?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.