Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Area 20 Colorado

Old 11-24-2006, 08:50 PM

Default Area 20 Colorado

I have a late season rifle for area 20. I have done a lot of scouting over my thanksgiving break, but don't have time to do much more (school, family). I have hiked Crosier Mountain Trail 3 times this pasted week and am very familier with it, along with Crystal Mountain area which I dirt bike during the summer, however I am not seeing good sign anywhere and am wondering if it's because the lack of water. I have seen 2 monster herds roaming around Estes Park, but wondering when they are going to head out to State forest.

Does anyone know of any honey holes or good primary habitat I can go checkout, or should I wait for a good snow then head up to Crosier? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-28-2006, 05:51 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Area 20 Colorado

well i hunt gmu 11 in colorado and water has nothing to do with the elk not being there during hunting season elk are always on the move but than agian you do hunt near estas and i dought those elk are moving.....you are hunting unit 20 thats not far away from boulder....well i couldnt help ya but snow is moving in as i type is that by evergreen?
Old 11-29-2006, 04:16 PM

Its the Glen Haven/Estes Park area. That area is awesome, you just have to know the land well because it is so wooven with private land, you could get some big fines and honestly not even know you were wrong. There is about 300 head of elk in estes (that I saw)and I am hoping they will head to the mountains now that it has snowed.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:54 PM

Good luck, it was full of hunters for 4th rifle season, but all deer and elk moved to private land. Nobody got anything on Crossier Mntn, neither on Piper Meadows or on south side. I was there for 5 days, and checked private land map with a deputy, do not even think of going into private for those big bucks and bulls arround Glan Haven and along Dunraven Glade Rd. (51B) it is all posted and off limits.
Old 12-04-2006, 04:39 PM
Typical Buck

ya i people get alot of fines for not knowing it doesnt even have to be posted or fenced you should know your area
Old 12-04-2006, 08:17 PM

Yeah I already ran into some prick up there, "thinking" we were on his property. We are sposed to be hunting not splitting hairs. I do know the area and let me tell you, asurveyer would have a hard time staying in the boundries. My 1:2billion-th map of the private property doesnt really cut it. Our job is to thin the dam Rocky Mountain National park herd so the game wardens don't have to kill 2,000 of them a year with semiauto weapons. Unfortunitly a game warden lives about 1 mile from the trail head so the P's and Q's better be watched. Since there arn't enough wardens to catch all the career poachers, they have to throw the book at some guy who walked across someone's unmarked property, the sad part about it is we are the ones paying for their services.