Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Federal Fusion..NOT impressed >

Federal Fusion..NOT impressed

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Federal Fusion..NOT impressed

Old 11-15-2006, 12:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Federal Fusion..NOT impressed

Federal designed that bullet from the base up for white-tail deer and related game (with respect to size and bone density).

Now, since it is a bonded bullet, I would suspect that it would be fine for elk. But, if you jacket and core separation with a bonded bullet, it was likely with a fast moving bullet (like a 7mag) and it was likely inside of 150 yards. It may well have just turned inside out. Did you acctually FIND a separated core and jacket? And you can pop the lead freely in and out of the jacket like you can with a Sierra GameKing?
Old 11-15-2006, 02:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've also have great results from the Remington Accutip boat tail on elk, though not at long range.
Wow the accutip is none other than a Hornady SST. In my experience it is Hornady's answer to the Nosler Ballistic Tip, results were very similar to that of the NBT I have used on many deer sized game. I would think at closer range it not be as goodon larger game than longer but then again I haven't nor doI plan on attempting to verify this notion. My opinion is while it and others may work a bullet designed for controlled expansion is the better choice for the larger deer species. Never lost an elk or moose and don't plan on it, I like the TSX now but previously the CT failsafe and NP were my preference. I have used the accubond to harvest both animals but not sure I could trust it on a heavy raking shot vs the others. Didthe jobon a rib in and out but so do theTSX, NP, etc. I know these will slug through the shoulder to get the vitals if need be.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Slo-bo

Younggun. Do me the courtesy of re-reading the original post, slowly this time. There was no suggestion of elk hunting with a .243, only a question and discussion here on advertised bullet performance.
Were you saying your buddy was hunting with a .243, or a 30-06, if he used a 30-06, he's an idiot. I didn't say you were suggesting using a .243 on elk.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, I've always heard it was a deer bullet, and if all goes well, will be using it on whitetails this fall/winter.

A bit off topic, but younggun, if he used a 30-06 on elk, why is he an idiot?
Old 11-15-2006, 03:37 PM
Typical Buck

slo-bo------------I use an 30/06 for my elk hunting. I've used plain jane bullets for years without a problem---"core-lokts", "power-points" & now "Hornady's interlock" spire points-----all are 180 grains. This year I had a buddy come out & hunt with me. He borrowed an 06 from me & I had it sited in with 180 Nolser Partitions. He took a bull---IMO there was no difference between them. IMO at 30/06 speed plain jane bullets are fine.

I'm surprised that a bonded bullet came apart. He was using 180 grain factory ammo, correct?

I guess the good thing is the elk still fell. CB
Old 11-15-2006, 07:19 PM

CB.. you seem to be one of the few that are staying on track with my original intent of this post/question, and if you will allow me to quote you..." I'm surprised that a bonded bullet came apart"...my point exactly.
When this ammo is advertised as... "Fusion's lethal punch comes from bonding the jacket to the core in a special process at the molecular level. This completely eliminates jacket and core seperation...", that is what I would expect the bullet to do, regardless of what caliber rifle it was fired from.Correct, he was using 180 grain factory ammo,and yes, he did get the elk, so the ultimate end of the story was positive.
James B..I must agree with you in part, nothing in life is perfect 100% of the time, and given the many different conditions present with any given shot taken, the results are bound to be varied. However, I do question Federal's tests, when and if they say they the jacket "will not seperate from the core", as I have seen differently. WhatI would like is a reasonable explanation from them, or someone,as to HOW and WHY this took place? This post is not a blanket condemation of Federal or their products, more a quest for some answers and explainations.
SinceI don't shoot factory ammo, as I prefer to reload, I appreciate input from all of you who have actually used the Fusion ammo.

Old 11-15-2006, 09:46 PM
Typical Buck

slo-bo............I don't buy into the "bonded" bullet. My question is---Why buy a bonded bullet @ $22/box for deer when "core-lokts" @ $10/box have been killing them for years?

If a premium bullet is prefered-----the partition is never a bad choice--IMO.

Just my rough rule of thumb is if you are pushing 3000 fps----go with a partition. For 30/06 velocity----old plain jane bullets are fine. In fact I really like the old 180 round nose "core-lokt" out of my 30/06. CB

Old 11-16-2006, 07:27 AM
Spike

My understanding of the Fusion is that it's designed for deer size game... Glad it worked out on an ELK, but why be cheap with your ELK cartridge? I made a visual inspection of Fusion in .270 and the bullet appeared to be exactly the same as the $7.99 per box Power Shok bullet... Didn't disassemble or saw in half or anything, but looks like a duck, must be a duck
Old 11-16-2006, 09:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: skeeter 7MM

the accutip is none other than a Hornady SST.
Wow I didn't know that. Interesting.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:52 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Colorado Bob

slo-bo............I don't buy into the "bonded" bullet. My question is---Why buy a bonded bullet @ $22/box for deer when "core-lokts" @ $10/box have been killing them for years?

If a premium bullet is prefered-----the partition is never a bad choice--IMO.
Here's the answer to that question. All bullets are NOT created equal and there is a great reason why spend double the price for ammunition.

CB...you remind me of my uncles that I grew up hunting with. I don't mean that in a bad way because they taught me about all I know when it comes to hunting and I admire them very much. But they have that "old school" mentality when it comes to bullets. I have heard over and over that "dead is dead". Here is my view on that.

My uncle Brett has been using core-lokt's for as long as I can remember. I've never known him to use anything else. I have see him shoot several elk. He's got all the characteristics that an elk hunter should have. Waits for a clean shot and always has good shot placement. I've never seen him shoot an elk that we didn't find within a short distance. However I have first hand seen the difference literally side by side what a core-lok't bullet does compared to a "premium bullet". The core-lok't bullets don't retain their weight like say a partition or barnes x.Those bullet fragments gotta go somewhere.

Now I butcher my own meat so Ihave seen the difference. If you don't butcher your own meat you may be surprised. Icut up an elk for my uncle Brett once. He had hit a rib and half the bullet went through the vitals and the other half bounced and logged itself in the rear ham. He lost a lot of good meatto meat damage.In fact I have seem him loseall his roasts on one front shoulder due to a core-lok't coming apart a ruining all of the meat. When you think of losing say just 10 lbs. of meat at even a buck a pound (what it would cost you to get it somewhere else) you have madeup the difference between your plain jane bullets andthat premium box of shells with one shot. You add up several animals and the meat saved it can add up.

Core-lok's don't always do this but this do this A LOT in my experience.A jacketed bullet doesn't do this near as much and why I can see the frustration with theFusion. It's not always just about getting the job done, the premium bullets aresupposed to be for effenciency in doing so as well. That's the "new school" way of thinking. So IMO all dead elk are not created equal.

Quick Reply: Federal Fusion..NOT impressed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.