Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Newfoundland Spring Bear???? >

Newfoundland Spring Bear????

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Newfoundland Spring Bear????

Old 11-12-2006, 12:04 PM

Default Newfoundland Spring Bear????

I am in the process of trying to organize a spring bear hunt to Newfoundland. I have looked at tons of websites and other literature. Curious to know if anyone can make a recommendation for an outfitter who is Serious about bear hunting. The information and knowledge on this forum tops all of the others I have witnessed. Any help greatly appreciated. Thank You in advance for your time!
Old 11-12-2006, 03:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Newfoundland Spring Bear????

Last year I went on a moose hunt in Newfoundland, Before I went I was surfing the web just looking for photos and info on what Newfoundland was like.

There was some outfitter that had bear hunts. They had really high success rates. I think they were close to a coast.

I really don't remember the name. Try surfing around and maybe you can find something.

I'll look around and see if I can find it again.
Old 11-12-2006, 06:24 PM

Thanks for the reply Windwalker. Who did you moose hunt with? Your signature picture looks like you got a nice one. By the way I'v been looking at Newfoundland Wilderness Outfitters, Victoria Outfitters, and Rays Hunting anf Fishing. Trying not to be a pesimist, but as informative as the web is, you really can't replace fellow hunters experiences.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunted with Patey and sons outfitting
http://www.biggameoutfitting.com/hunting_photos.html

Had a great time. From what I hear, bears in Newfoundland get pretty big but are hard to hunt.

I saw tracks and one of the guys hunting in our group saw one. We didn't get bear tags. The outfitter said that bears were just opportunity, no guiding for them. They said they are hard to come by in the fall. That's what they said. something about there being lots of berries and they don't need to travel much.
Old 11-16-2006, 07:04 AM
Dominant Buck

Try Snowshoe Lake Hunting and Fishing out of Millertown NL.
[email protected]
I hunted there 3 years in a row for Caribou and know they do spring bear hunts. The last year I went there it was near the end of their fall season after filling my tag I helped the owner/ head guide John Hicks take care of all the game hides, hooves, heads etc. from the season. We covered about 70 miles on a large loop and put a pickup truck full of bait out in numerous sites. John said it would give the bears something to eat before they hybernated and get them used to the bait sites when spring came. It looked like they were all great bear sites and had tree stands and looked like they had been used by bears for years. There were worn paths in the dense woods leading up to the stands. He said they get some really large black bears and my guide Steve got one well over 500 pounds a couple of years ago. John told me there were some that were 800 pounds or more. It is extremely remote and hunting pressure is almost nil resulting in most animals dieing of old age. Windwalker is right about fall hunting for them. There was sign everywhere and some of the guys in camp saw them but in 3 years of hunting I never saw one in the fall. BTW Snowshoe is a first class operation at least in a fall hunt from my experience. PM me if you need any other info.
Old 11-16-2006, 01:10 PM

Thanks for the reply I have a number for them (snowshoe) I think their last name is Hicks? I tried to get their website, but I think it is down for now. I may end up PM you in the future. Thanks again!
Old 11-16-2006, 03:18 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: st8tman

Thanks for the reply I have a number for them (snowshoe) I think their last name is Hicks? I tried to get their website, but I think it is down for now. I may end up PM you in the future. Thanks again!
Yes their last name is Hicks and the outfitter is Ron Hicks. They don't have a web site but if you use the addresslisted in my last postyou can email them. I have had some of my best hunts with them and so have several others here on this site. Good luck and feel free to PM if you need any other info or want to check them out with other hunters who have been.