Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 the 338 federal is looking promising >

the 338 federal is looking promising

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

the 338 federal is looking promising

Old 11-05-2006, 07:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: the 338 federal is looking promising

That load is taken from an artical in Shooting Times Magazine where they evaluated the 338 Federal on A mule deer hunt. The factory also loads a 185 grain Barnes TXS @ 2760 FPS. I also have loaded that load from the Barnes Manual with the 200 Grain XFB. The cartridge really packs a punch for the modest size of the casing. It should be the match of most NA game.
Old 11-06-2006, 01:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Why is it that every time a new cartridge gets commercialized someone has to complain about how it doesn't offer anything that the __________ doesn't already do. BLA, BLA, BLA, BLA, BLA, BLA, BLA, BLA, BLA, BLA!

WHO CARES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FYI, the .338 Federal does offer something the .308, 30-06, or the 300 Win mag don't. A .338" bullet fired out of handier, short action rifle, with mild recoil and very adequate trajectory to 300 yards and more than enough energy available to anchor the biggest bull elk or moose.

If new cartridges were never developed you would all be still shooting black powder 45-70's. We wouldn't have the 30-06 and everything based on it. We wouldn't have the .308 either. We wouldn't have the 300 Win mag since we already had the H&H......... I could go on forever about this.

In fact no one would have 99% of the firearms they have in their houses.
Old 11-06-2006, 01:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

BINGO!!! Another thing that I don't understand, anything new that comes out that is not bigger and badder than anything already available gets the old HO-HUM. From what I can see, we have plenty of cannons already. Not Everyone wants or needs 5000-8000 lbs of ME. For those who do, They are out there and just take a pass on the 338 Federal like EKM says.

I still like to hear other opinioms though. It makes me feel smarter.
Old 11-06-2006, 03:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

Why is it that every time a new cartridge gets commercialized someone has to complain about how it doesn't offer anything that the __________ doesn't already do. BLA, BLA, BLA, BLA, BLA, BLA, BLA, BLA, BLA, BLA!

WHO CARES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FYI, the .338 Federal does offer something the .308, 30-06, or the 300 Win mag don't. A .338" bullet fired out of handier, short action rifle, with mild recoil and very adequate trajectory to 300 yards and more than enough energy available to anchor the biggest bull elk or moose.

If new cartridges were never developed you would all be still shooting black powder 45-70's. We wouldn't have the 30-06 and everything based on it. We wouldn't have the .308 either. We wouldn't have the 300 Win mag since we already had the H&H......... I could go on forever about this.

In fact no one would have 99% of the firearms they have in their houses.
It offers nothing in the current loads. It appears to be a marketing cartridge and nothing more. It's six of one, half dozen of the other.

If someone can show me that there is some kind ofadvantage to having a .338 bullet of the same weight as a .308 bullet launched out of the same case I might just change my mind.

Oh wait! I forgot. A bigger diamete bullet "kills better". LOL
Old 11-06-2006, 04:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

How do you figure it is a marketing ploy? The 338-08 has been a wildcat for as long as there has been the .308. Finally it gets some recognition in the mainstream and you are going to complain about it. There will be other factory loads with time but There has to be some marketing in some fashon so that people will buy it but that doesn't mean that it isn't an excelent medium range 338 cartridge.

The 300 Win mag didn't offer anything more or beter than the 300H&H did.
The 303 Brittish came along in 1888 so why do we even need the .308 Winchester?

By your thinking we would all be shooting a .22lr, a 30-06, and a 12ga. shotgun and that's it. What a crappy gun world we would live in.

Even if it offers nothing that other cartridges don't already offer it is yet another cartridge available to gun owners and that's a great thing.

Old 11-06-2006, 05:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

The 300 Win mag didn't offer anything more or beter than the 300H&H did.
The 303 Brittish came along in 1888 so why do we even need the .308 Winchester?

Even if it offers nothing that other cartridges don't already offer it is yet another cartridge available to gun owners and that's a great thing.

You're doing nothing but demonstrating a distinct lack of knowledge. Both of those cartridges offer substantial performance improvements over their older counterparts.

The .338 Federal so far offers nothing at all over the .308 except the illusion that somehow the "cowboy" elk hunter crowd is better off with a .338 bullet fired out of the same .308 case.

I'm not drinking the Kook-Aid until i see something better from it.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

The 338 Federal has a good deal more ME than any 308 load As the figures I posted above clearly show. Now I love the 308 and own two of them but they do not stack up to well against the 338 Federal.
Old 11-06-2006, 07:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: James B

The 338 Federal has a good deal more ME than any 308 load As the figures I posted above clearly show. Now I love the 308 and own two of them but they do not stack up to well against the 338 Federal.
No it doesn't. You quoted some numbers that are questionable to say the least.

Please explain how you can get a .338 bullet weighing just 10 grains more than the .308 bullet to produce almost 700 ft/lbs more out of the same case. That is totally rediculous.

You're also using a bullet for the .308 that you can't even get from the factory.Your numbers in noway reflect reality and it's irresponsible of you to insinuate that they are truthful.

My numbers come directly from the Federal catalog. Federal developed the load.
Old 11-07-2006, 04:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

My numbers are from the shooting times Magazine. These numbers are furnished by Fedaeal for the artical Thay also supplied the rifle and the ammo for the hunt and the eveluation. Now I don't own a 338 Federal yet. I do however own a 308 and have the ballistics on my desk here in front of me. I can confirm these from three different Reloading manuals. Using Federals Ballistics from their own tests, the 338 Fed will fire a 210 grain bullet at 2630 fps for a ME of 3224 Lb According to Barnes and Sierra and MY CHRONOGRAPH BOOK, the 308 will fire a 200 hrain bullet at 2400-2450 fps for a ME reading of 2690 lb.

I really don't have a horse in this race but these ballistics are sound and I have them from several sources. It does not matter which 338 caliber or which 308 caliber that you fire these bullets from. Use a 338-06 and a 30-06 or a 300 Wim Mag and a 338 Win Mag, When these bullets are fired at these listed velocities, thats the results you get. I have chronographed about every bullet that you can stuff in a 308 and have fired probably 20000 rounds through them in ten years of steel silhoutte shooting. I know the ballistics of the 308. I have no reason to doubt Federal ballistic as my manuals with data for the 338-06 and a few other 338 wildcats show the same results. I seldom use factory ammo but I have always had at least one chronograph since I started reloading so I am sure of my readings.

That proves my point to me and you will go on believing whatever choose. The same thing happens when you neck the 30-06 to 338. The 30-06 fires the 200 grain bullet at 2680 fps, the 338-06 fires the 200 grain bullet at 2828 fps. Same case same shoulder angle, However when necked to 338, the average amount of powder used is about 4-5 grains more for the 338-06.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:32 AM

Can someone please explain to me, why any of us pay any attention to BrutalAttack? The guy is a trouble causer. Oh I'm sorry I forgot he Knows everything.

I like what I see of the 338 federal. I may purchase one just the chaff Brutals A$$! The 308 is boring! Brutal owns one though so its the best!

I'm sure he'll come back with something witty like: You didn't make a point. Or Federal's catalog says blah blah. Or I'm a scientist so my words mean more. Blah, blah, blah!

Just kidding! I thought I'd rattle your cage, we haven't butted heads in a week or so.

Quick Reply: the 338 federal is looking promising

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.