HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 30-06 Jack of all trades, Master of None.
Old 09-19-2006, 12:35 PM
Wolf killer
Nontypical Buck

Default 30-06 Jack of all trades, Master of None.

Guys I just have tovent on the 30-06. I am getting tired of the "blanketanswers" to posts.
Example post: I am Joe Blow for Florida. I am headed to Colorado for my first elk hunt. I hunt deer in my home state with a 30-06. Should I buy a elk rifle?
Example Answers: The 30-06 is all you need, you are good to go.
The 30-06 will do it all for you.
The 30-06 is the only gun you need.
This blanket answer never mentions bullet constuction,velocity, trajectory or kenetic energy.

I just do not like the 30-06. Many people claim it is the do all cartridge. I like most round based on the 30-06 case, except the 30-06 & 35-whelen. Rounds like the 25-06, 6.5-06, 270, 280& 338-06, have earned there place in my gun safe.
The 35-Whelen is a "pumkin slinger", that is very effective at close range.The next time I hunt elk inside a phone booth, this will be weapon of choice.
IMHO The 30-06 is a slow .30-caliber that is out preformed hands down by several other.30-calibermagnum rounds. I honestly have a 300-win mag that has less felt recoil than my wife's old 30-06. The less felt recoil is done with proper stock fit & overall rifle weight. This rifle does not have a muzzle break.

IMHOWith all the great calibers to choose from, the 30-06 is never the best or the only rifle you need. The 30-06 is somewhere at the bottom of my list.
I would rather see someone buy a rifle that is considered too big for deer if elk is on the menu. the 300-win mag is a great place to start with the magnums.
If the hunter can afford two rifles? Buy onefor deer & one just for elk. I suggest the 270-winchester for deer & 338-win mag for elk.

I am sure I will get bashed for my views, thatsok I have big shoulders.