Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 30-06 Jack of all trades, Master of None. >

30-06 Jack of all trades, Master of None.

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

30-06 Jack of all trades, Master of None.

Old 09-22-2006, 07:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 30-06 Jack of all trades, Master of None.

Thats exactly what a 30-06 is "Jack of all trades" and a master of it...
So I've got a question,if you are Elk hunting with your .338 (master of elk)and you see a "Buck of your Dreams" does that mean your going to let it walk away cause you don't have your master deer rifle thats chambered for the .270?
Yeah I'm a 30-06 fan..
But for me its not that I'm a one gun hunter, the fact is many of the big game species I hunt, over lap
open seasons....
If I'm hunting August and Septfor I often find myself with big bucks, elk, sheep all in the same area
all are open to hunting....
Everything depends on shot placement and bullet choiceand min caliber selection...
The 30-06 has it all,even cal selection is well above the minimum suggested for big game species hunted in North America..

Old 09-25-2006, 10:59 AM
DM

This is a great country. One of the great things about it is that if you don't like the 30-06, you sure as 'H' don't need to own one.

The 30-06 is boring. There is no whiz bang magnum name tacked on it and it just goes out year after year for longer than any of us have been around and does what it was made to do. Kill Things. Is there better choices? Probably. You name a cartridge and I will name a better choice for something. For the one gun hunter, taking everything into consideration, the 30-06 will do the job about as well as any one rifle can. Heaven forbid that we be limited to one rifle. If I have several rifles, the 30-06 would need not be amoung them. However for just one, it would have to be the 30-06. No one gun can do it better.

James B for president!!!

Old 09-25-2006, 08:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

OK!
Old 09-26-2006, 02:48 AM
Fork Horn

Would you consider a good 300 H&H an Elk cartridge?
Old 09-26-2006, 06:26 AM
Typical Buck

James B has a vote.

One time around 1903 there was a 30cal round that revolutionized the hunting world and I believe that it held it's ground with not any dispute until the magnum craze hit the world. Even though the magnums were out before the craze didn't really happen until the late 80's. Bigger better and killed on both ends. If you did a nationwide survey it would still be the No 1 spot of a caliber that is used to hunt almost everything. And this is coming from a person that's not a 30-06 true fan. I prefer the 270win over it. I'm a trajectory man. I like em fast and flat. But all around from deer to kodiak one rifle it's hard to leave it out of the top spot. Hail the 30-06 they got it right the first time.

All around caliber is the one that is accurate enough to hit where you wanted it too.

All around bullet is the one that killed your animal.

The world is full of preferences I'll take the old traveled road it all ways leads me home to a gut pile.
Old 10-05-2006, 06:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

wolfkiller...as long as it kills....its alright with me..good hunts to ya
Old 10-06-2006, 07:14 PM

I would have to say that the 30-06 did and still will kill any animal in the states include alaska with more than enough energy and power to do so with the right lead and shot placement... But myself do like and prefer the 7mm RUM or plain 7mm RM over the 06...
Old 10-07-2006, 01:12 PM

Isn't the .300 WM a .338 casing necked down to 30 cal?
Old 10-07-2006, 04:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thats about right. The 338 was the 458 necked down and the 300 was based on that case with the shoulder moved ahead a bit.
Old 10-08-2006, 08:35 AM

Out west here, you may be hunting in what WE call a remote area. Like around Hulett, or Ten Sleep, or Centennialand you discover you left your ammo on the kitchen table!
(Hasn't happened to me, but I know a guy . . .)
It is then and there that you are glad you chose a 30-06, or 7mm Mag, or even the 30-30 because that might be the only ammo the local "sporting goods store" carries. For me at least, that is a major consideration.
No the balistics don't match up to some of the more modern lazer beam flat rounds of today, but the .06 is powerfull enough for any North American big game and still comparitivly easy on the shoulder. Still a huge favorite out west where what you shoot is almost as important as where you shoot. (Don't show up with too little gun!)

Quick Reply: 30-06 Jack of all trades, Master of None.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.