Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 How much pressure = too much pressure? >

How much pressure = too much pressure?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

How much pressure = too much pressure?

Old 09-16-2006, 09:43 PM
Fork Horn

Default How much pressure = too much pressure?

Hey guys,

Heres a readers digest version of my question: I hunt mulies on a acerage approx. 1000 acres in size. Last year atleast one 170 class non typical Mulie was taken from the property. It is private land with little to no public pressure. This year scouting has turned up between one to two 160-180 class mulies. There may or may not be more that inhabit this area. Over the next couple years the preperty will begin to start being developed.

Basically my question is, should I take one of these mulies and not worry about the genetics growing in the area? This evening scouting I saw one of the big bucks, approx 170" with a couple of smaller young bucks. I just dont want to óver shoot' the area they live in.

I dont know if my question is clear or unclear, but if anyone has any advice or experience with a similar situation, post away. Just curious to hear differing opinions and thoughts in regard to other bucks around/harvest pressure.

Thanks in advance
Old 09-17-2006, 08:14 AM

Default RE: How much pressure = too much pressure?

"Basically my question is, should I take one of these mulies and not worry about the genetics growing in the area?"

I would say that the genetics are in the area already. And will stay there as long as bucks reproduce. The larger bucks have left their "seed" in the smaller bucks, which will become larger bucks next couple of years right?
You are talking about selective harvest when taking one (or more) of the larger bucks. I say it is O.K. Not knowing anything about the area, (rolling prarie, rimrock bordering pasture, property bordering Public Land, animals migrating through or holding up, etc??), you say it will be developed in the next couple years. That tells me to enjoy the harvests now, because those animals will likely be displaced as the developers move in.
A 1000 acres isn't a lot of land either. About 1&1/2 square miles. Chances are that mulies you find there are not always there, which means there are probably many others in the region but outside your boudries.

Bottom line . . . You are not going to ruin the area, the developers will do that for you. So take advantage of your quarry while it lasts and enjoy the hunt.
Old 09-17-2006, 09:34 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the input game4lunch.
Old 09-17-2006, 09:36 AM
Fork Horn

And to sort of answer your question, it is pine forest with open hillside slopes and natural (but dry) swamps and meadows.
The property is bordered by both current developments (houses) a small park, and numeroius pieces of private property.
Old 09-17-2006, 02:22 PM

Ooo . . . sounds like the deer have already started being pushed out.
I didn't say this before, but your question/dilema is tough to answer. On the one hand you want to "leave nature alone", so as to continue the propogation of the species. But on the other hand, you hunt. There will always be deer. They survive. Move. But always survive. I still say enjoy your hunting experience while it still exists.
Tough one though.

When I was guiding, we were prohibited to let a client take anything less than a certain score or WE would be monitarily punished. So there would always be a good crop for next season. We also had to take a few rag horns and does/cows each year to keep that part of the equation balanced.
I sense from the fact that you are even asking this question that you must have a strong hunting ethic. So let your consience be your guide.
Old 09-17-2006, 10:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shoot em, and then shoot the developers! LOL I'm just kidding don't shoot the deer.LOL! If the land is being developed it's not going to hurt to shoot the mature bucks. If anything is going to hurt the deer population there it won't be the ethical hunters, it will be the money hungry developers. I live in Colorado and it is so sad to see the animals losing their natural habitat. I heard a guy a while back complaining the elk were eating his flowers!!! I don't want to stand in the way of progress, but its sad for the animals!
Old 09-18-2006, 12:36 PM

I would not be surprised to find out that more game is displaced each year by tree-hugging socker momhome builders than all licenced hunters.