Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

elk bullet in 06

Old 09-02-2006, 02:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: elk bullet in 06

ORIGINAL: camelcluch

My bad. The Remington ammo I was talking about is Core-lok.It patterns good and hits hard.
I know what you mean rem ammo has always looked like it was fired from a shotgun vs a rifle...hehe.

Your list sounds good to me.One that hasn't been mentioned in the add column - 180grNosler Accubond (winchester and federal both load the AB).

Good luck
Old 09-02-2006, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I used 30.06 Federal 180 grn. Accubonds on my moose. They performed very well.

The guide recovered both bullets.First shot was 232 yds. and the otherwas shot at point blank range for a finishing shot.

There is also a .22 bullet that was found in the moose's neck. The guide said that sometimespoachers poach moose from snowmobiles in the winter, when the lakes freeze over.

Old 09-03-2006, 06:09 PM

That's real sad for that moose to have to walk around with a .22 bullet in its neck....what a tough animal though.
Old 09-03-2006, 07:33 PM

"....That's real sad for that moose to have to walk around with a .22 bullet in its neck....what a tough animal though...."
Yep, there are always people out there that will buy into the "work your way down to whatever gun you have in the closet"...

270 will do anything a 3006 will do.... [with proper shot placement of course]
6.5mm will do anything a 270 will do.... "
243will do anything a6.5mm will do.... "
22-250will do anything a 243 will do.... "
223 will do anything a22-250 will do.... "
22Hornetwill do anything a 223will do.... "
22Magwill do anything a 22Hornet will do.... "
22LR will do anything a 22Mag will do.... "

A "hunter" can get off the downward spiral merry-go-round at any point that "feels good"and then....

the next thing you know you got Johnny Popper out shooting at moose with a 22....
Of course he is confident in his weapon and has beenfeels its okay to go light and maybe even done it once before....
On the other hand, he probably sure isn't on this forum bragging about his results. In that case the game suffers and the humans just stay silent about that part and there is no real penalty except silence. No conscious.
Old 09-04-2006, 06:27 PM
Fork Horn

You forgotabout the "premium bullet". That is what makes the .223 as effective as the .30-06, with proper placement, of course.

CE
Old 09-04-2006, 06:47 PM
Typical Buck

Sounds like to me some may have had little gun syndrome in their previous life.
Old 09-04-2006, 10:40 PM

CE,
The premium bullet, how could I forget. One gets to the point thatone firgures that everyone uses them for big (non0-deer) game.
================================================== =

Cherokee,
Please square that to the above photos and related story.
Are you voting for the one on the right for moose hunting?
[I thought it was a mere fragment when I first saw it.]

FWIW, gotrifles from small to large andsome inbetween andeven inthis life, not really into the reincarnation thing myself.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I grew up using the 30-06 and I still do at times.For a good all-around grain bullet out of the 30-06 is the 180 gr.This grain will take anything from antelope to bear,it also eliminates re-sighting when switching bullet weights (ie. 150's for deer and 180's for elk).
I realy don't know what pepole have against using a heavier bullet in their guns to kill game.The point of hunting is to kill it right??So it won't be any deader if you use a 165 vs a 180.What you gain is penetration,so you say whats 15 grains??It's the diffence between a pass through or stopping on the far shoulder blade.I belive animals bleed better from two holes better than one.
As for 300 yds shots the "06 can doit,sight in 2 in high at 100 and dead on at 200 and only 9 inches low at 300.A top of the back hold out to 380 will put elk in the freezer.
Granted I'm shooting 180 gr Nosler partion.
BBJ
Old 09-05-2006, 11:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

I realy don't know what pepole have against using a heavier bullet in their guns to kill game.The point of hunting is to kill it right??So it won't be any deader if you use a 165 vs a 180.What you gain is penetration,so you say whats 15 grains??It's the diffence between a pass through or stopping on the far shoulder blade.I belive animals bleed better from two holes better than one.
What many people fail to realize is that bullet construction is far more important than bullet weight.A lighter bullet of stronger construction can easily out penetrate a heavier bullet of different construction.

Granted I'm shooting 180 gr Nosler partion.
After personally witnessingmany kills made on big game with the partition,the failsafe and the tsx,I would put my money on a bet that the 168gr tsx will easilyoutpenetrate the 180gr partition,and still provide good expansion while doing so.This is because the tsx usually retains 90% or more of its weight while the partition usuallyonly retains about 60% of its weight..

Old 09-05-2006, 12:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

True,True Stubblejumper.
But you would still get better penetration using a 180 gr Barnes x,Tsx or MRX.I wasn't taking anything away from Barnes they make good solid bullets.
I have yet to find a NP to weigh after I have fired it into a game animal,they generaly keep going after impact.I have found lesser ones like core-loks 180's,Federal Classic Sp 180's and Winchester PP 180's and they weigh about 40-60% after impact.
BBJ

Quick Reply: elk bullet in 06

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.