Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elk are a bugling...

Old 08-30-2006, 07:33 PM

Default Elk are a bugling...

WellI had some elk talking below me today, pretty neat to hear them this vocal this early in the season. Didn't seem like they were too aggressvie though, i was just cow calling and checking things out. Any ideas on a good setup to these elk, maybe some spike squels and immitations of some cows milling around or what?

Thanks
Old 08-31-2006, 01:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Elk are a bugling...

I saw around 15 bulls this weekend but didn't hear any bugling . Did see a few doing a bit of head butting but nothing serious yet .One nice 6X6 with a small harem was tearing up some turf ,but no challengers . Won't be long now till they are at it .

Old 08-31-2006, 09:26 AM
Fork Horn

if they are talking, would suggest not talkingtill youare CLOSE!!! then the strategy changes depending upon what type critter you want...want a cow? thenjustkeep sneaking in amngst them...occasionally cow call...want a bull? sneak in amongst them, cow call a little more,and then possibly if withint 75 yards maybe try light bugle...but the reality is, there is not a perfect answer...you just have to read the herd you are on...watch and observe how they are reacting to other challengers...that will tell you what to do...
Old 08-31-2006, 09:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice picture halcon, here it is, you're link is broken.

I'm new to elk calling so I have little advice. Don't talk too much or too loud and make sure to play the wind right of course.