HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   When will it end? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/152911-when-will-end.html)

R2it 08-23-2006 05:44 PM

RE: When will it end?

[:o]Public land in New Hampshire is good hunting except the nons have walking trails throughout and make it hard. Land is being developed at an alarming rate the animals live in suburbia not in the woods. The fishing at the good spots is take a number and wait to get in.Seems that this is a problem everywhere. The goverment is not the answer everything they touch only gets worse.[:o]

mtisfullofit 08-26-2006 02:48 PM

It will never end as long as politicians can be paid to think and vote.
Blame government, big money ,special intrest lobby groups,and Non- res vs res. competion foraccessas well asevery TV dude or Group that tells you your big buck or bull is around the corner.
Look at the record.
non- res. Tag prices shooting up. prefrence point RAPE!,wilderness areas closed to hunters without guides,land locked Federal properties withlucartive grazing, water, andmineral rights. WE Pay for federal land programs, management and use by private individuals, yet WE the public in particular the hunting public get less and less for our money.

Don't tell me a wyoming increase on a moose prefrence point from $7.50 to $75.00 per year was not a money motivated decision for the well to do,I want my last 8 years worth of points back! a res deer tag does not cost that much!

I can as a non- res.walk in a wilderness area without a gun and get lost as well as anyres. without a compass. Why does a non-res with a gun need a guide? You won't get a stat from Wy showing more lost non-res hunters than res hunters.Trust me Ive called.This is discrimination in any form. Protectionism in another and anti- hunter on another front. yet it exists.
Huntingaccess is a issue and state gov's manipulating law around federal lands to keep us out for whatever reason is wrong, to protect a few guide businesses is even worse.
There would be hell to pay if the anti's tried to pass a bill saying we can't hunt federal lands. Yet it goes on in our own ranks.

All need to find out the skinny on federal land use BLM, Wilderness areas and the benefits to some industries, grazing, mineral, water, and other things our taxes pay for and see how federal land is manipulated to keep you out of prime hunting locations. This is why a forty acer ranch in colorado with jack on it can sell for a million bucks, because of the access it denies you. It affects land ownership. Take a look at a plat map and see who is owning our west and where the intrests lies.

Too bad that less and less of us will be going west while herd sizes explode and get larger and larger beyond their rightfull carring capcities.

I am sure there will be a federal program proposedto pay to help reduce the herd and help the poor people affected by it.

I hold much of this in contempt of our rights as hunters, tax payers and individuals.

dayna0306 08-26-2006 05:02 PM

I think it will go like this ,the hunting will be left to the rich thanks to us the fish &game and the money eating goverment.The rich are the minority and the majority rules.when that happens we will lose hunting as we know it now.I't sad but common sence tells us the direction of the road we are on. p.s.wish I could spell.

slowaspossible 08-28-2006 06:16 AM

Let me say at the start that its refreshing to read different opinions on this topic that are reasonable regardless of the opinion the writer holds.
I'm a New Yorker who has hunted big game for 39 years. I am hardly rich and there is often month left over at the end of the money. Several years back I got involved in elk hunting in the West. Our first trip, in Montana, we used a good friend to help us set up a spike camp. We used his horses but our equipment. The cost of the equipment like tents and stoves collected over the years is quite high. Not to mention getting all that stuff out to Montana. He purchased food for us before we arrived and we packed it in. This was a great hunt but there were serious drawbacks to doing it.
First, we were unfamiliar with the area and wasted far too much time scouting instead of hunting. Secondly, recovery of an elk takes everyone out of the "woods" while you recover a single animal.
Most hunters unfamiliar with an area most certainly won't have a spare friend with horses just down the road so they are extremely limited in what they can attempt to do. Add to this the time and cost of travel, lodging, etc. and you have a major problem.
Complain if you will about the cost of outfitters and they do get a lot of money. However, they don't make a lot of money. As pointed out the landowner has discovered he has a cash crop on his land and that is the wildlife found there. The outfitter has some extraordinary costs in running their operation and I, as an eastern hunter in love with hunting the west, have little choice but to pay the cost of doing this thing we do.

Zim 08-29-2006 08:14 AM

I refuse to pay anyone to hold my hand. There is great hunting available on public land for those of us willing to work at it. I've taken P&Y bucks 2 of the last 3 years.

What bothers me is the spreading of this leasing cancer to our public lands, done in the form of rediculous NR fees and sportsmans auction tags. This will doom average lunch bucket joe hunter.

early 08-29-2006 08:25 AM

eventualy; private firearms ownership and hunting will be reserved for the ultra wealthy.

public land will be a thing of the past (controlled by big money)

hopefully orginizations like the NRA and RMEF will postpone the tyde of urbanized tyranical disintigration of freedom and our heritage wellbeyond the scope of my mortality. but there is no guarantee.

early