Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

[Deleted]

Old 01-12-2002, 09:07 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-12-2002, 09:18 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-12-2002, 09:19 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-12-2002, 09:22 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-12-2002, 10:47 PM

Default RE: Attention all elk hunters. I have a question.....

Good question. I like cow calls. I am new to elk hunting and am not very good at making the cow mews. So I don`t call very often. Like only when trying to stop a moving animal.

Fisherking has an excellent point about bad calls running the elk off. Elk know what other elk sound like. Last season, I ran into one guy who was in love with his cow call. He blew it all the time. The problem was that he was horrible...instead of the "EEE-ooh" sound he went "squeak-quack". LOUDLY AND OFTEN.

I think that if you practice a lot, then the cow call might be the best bet. It is really versitile in the sounds you can make: calf sounds right up to the lead cow screech. I used the Primos hyper lip single last year. Last week I bought a little tiny bite call called the Original Cow Talk from E.L.K. Inc. Very easy to use. Don`t know if it is still being made since I bought it from a shop that was going out of business and the call looked like it had been there a long time.

Good luck!

The Mouse
Old 01-12-2002, 11:08 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-13-2002, 04:57 AM

You didn't say "when" you were going to be calling.
Bugleing will work on bulls (cows too) during the rut but cow calls work year round for cows and bulls
wyote

Edited by - wyote on 01/13/2002 06:03:05
Old 01-13-2002, 05:28 AM

Any calls are only as good as the caller to produce the right sound. The bugle should only be used to locate a bull then move into his space or safty zone and use the cow call to entice him in closer with limited calling.
I have to agree that bugle can run a bull off in areas that are hunted more and even a cow call can do that because in many places elk are becoming call wise and has turned into a spot and stalk or cutting them off to and from there feeding area. If you are trying to vidio them this time of year a cow call will be your only hope and probly only to stop them and you would have better luck during the rut assuming they rut arround the same time as up here in September into the first part of October. See if you can get a vidio on call ing elk like Wayne Carltons or the Quaker Boys vidio on calling elk and that will give you a better idea on hw to do it.
Old 01-13-2002, 07:17 AM

Cow calls seem to sweet talk em right in.
Old 01-13-2002, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use the bugle only during the rut and then to locate bulls. If you are good enough, they will at least answer you, giving away their general location. However, I have not had any come toward me, only take their cows away in response to my bugles, so I use the cow call in close to entice them in.

So the full answer to your question is take both if you are going during the rut, but use the bugle sparingly, and get some tapes of live animals and practice mimicing their sounds.

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.