Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

[Deleted]

Old 01-13-2002, 01:30 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-14-2002, 11:29 AM
Spike

Default RE: Attention all elk hunters. I have a question.....

In heavy hunted areas, the bugle is just an announcement to let the elk know that you're coming. If you're in an area where the elk have not been pressured alot for a few years, then a bugle can work great to locate and some times bring in bulls, especially satallite bulls.

Cow calls are the way to go all the time. There's not much you can't do with a cow call. You can calm elk down, you can call spooked bulls back, You can use it to cover your noise as you approach a herd.

A real good combination is a spike bull call and a hyper, or in heat, cow call. This combo works great and drives the big boys crazy. He thinks that a young bull has one of his cows and she's in heat. You better get your arrow nocked and be ready.

BM

...Rocky Mountain High...
Old 01-16-2002, 09:50 AM

Concentrate on cow calls to start. I have tried bugling and about 90% of the time the bull will turn around and run the other way. Out of the entire rut last year only three bulls I bugled to came in. Granted I am not a perfect bugler but I am to the point where I will only bugle to locate bulls or if I am very close like 100 yards away from a very excited bull. Boy is it exciting if you do get them to come in bugling but cow calls have seemed way more affective at keeping them from being suspicous.
Old 01-16-2002, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just reread your post and realized that you will be calling them in Tennesee in a nonhunted herd. Therefore the "bugle shy" bull theory may not apply to this herd. I have heard them answer a bugle as early as August, but for some really great action, go out the last 2 weeks in September and the first week of October and try your bugle as well as your cow call. I bet you will get some action and the bulls may actually come your way even with a bugle. It is just that in hunted herds, bulls learn fast that a man may be attached to that bugle sound.
Old 01-16-2002, 12:47 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-16-2002, 02:01 PM

I've found that bull bugling is primarily good for locating bulls at a distance. Once in close, a cow call seems to work best. However, this is not always true. Different bulls react differently to close-in bugling and grunting. Some get pretty crazy and respond agressively to bull bugling and grunting. Others may answer but won't come near. Others respond by sneaking in without a sound. There is no hard fast rule of thumb, but overall cow calling works better because it is an attractant rather than a potential threat to the bulls.