Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Moose hunting in Newfoundland >

Moose hunting in Newfoundland

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Moose hunting in Newfoundland

Old 09-20-2006, 03:30 PM
Fork Horn

Default Moose hunting in Newfoundland

My wife left last week on her dream trip for a moose hunt and we had booked with Dhoon lodge.Well the first she was out with her guide for which we had paid extra for a 1x1 but all he wanted to do was drive around.She saw some moose and the guide started telling her to shoot because he's a big oneand since she had already discussed what she was looking for she took him at his word and she shot him only to get down to the moose and find out he was a small 3x3 bull,the guide said he made a mistake but theres all the money gone the first day.Then we find out that they hardly ever get good bulls without flying in.I almost forgot that the outfitter forgot to pick her up at the airport and she luckly spent the night at another outfitters house that some hunters she met were staying at.We paid extra for a driver.It's just a shame that some outfitters take advantage of a new hunter and don't think they can hunt at all.She had deer and turkey hunted and had been preparing for this hunt for months and they don't feel like they did anything wrong.I always thought a guide was supposed to guide not get out of control and shoot the first thing they saw when they could not identfy it.She did see another good bull but the guide didn't want to get out and walk that far.She did say there were some great guides there that wanted to take her out but they were on the fly in hunts.I think there are outfitters in NF that will give you the facts instead of all the stories and excuses we have been given.If anyone is interested make sure you double check and from checking more it seems that the good outfitters only do flyin hunts.I wouldn't reccomend this oufitter.
Old 09-20-2006, 05:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Moose hunting in Newfoundland

first off habitat, let me say welcome to the forums. You'll find LOTS of good info on here and LOTS of really good hunters and all around good guys that have done about every hunt imaginable.

....but the guide didn't want to get out and walk that far.
That should NEVER EVER be an issue. The guide should always be encouraging the client to do as much as they are physically able. It is why research and especially many, MANY references are key to an outfitted type hunt. It is essential that both the client and the perspective outfitter know just what to expect from each other.

some outfitters take advantage of a new hunter and don't think they can hunt at all
It is true that a significant number of outfitters everywhere take advantage of "new" hunters but usually not because they think they can't hunt....It's just the outfitter's thinking (or the particular guide's) that they can get away with it because of that person's inexperience with outfitters in general ( a very broad spectrum of people (the outfitters that is)) and there are many that do not have as much integrity and "gumption" as they should----there are many really good ones as well.

You guys are not alone as people dissappointed with the results of a much anticipated trip. Hopefully you guys will get to try again in the future. Best of luck in the future and again, welcome aboard

hb
Old 09-20-2006, 07:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I went to Newfoundland last October. Me and 2 friends went on a fly in hunt.

I was lucky and got a nice moose after hunting about 20 minutes. My buddies hunted hard and longed many miles walking threw those bogs.

They were totally wore out and did end up with their moose. However, their moose were also small.

I can't say enough good things about our guides. Those guy will do everthing in their power to put you on moose. They carry incredible loads on their back when packing out the meat. They were friendly and treated us very well. They really went out of their way to give us a great hunt.

http://www.biggameoutfitting.com/
But all in all, Newfoundland is known for small moose. While all the brochures show trophy animals, a majority of them are really small.

I tell everyone that asks about going to Newfoundland, that go with the intentions that this is a meat hunt not a trophy hunt. While many moose taken are nice size, many more are small.

I'm going to post a photo of our animals so your wife doesn't feel so bad. Remember, this was a fly-in hunt. These guys logged lots of miles walking to get these moose.

I'm not sure if they want their photo on the internet so I blacked them out.

Old 09-20-2006, 08:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you want a legal moose,newfoundland is a great choice with affordable prices.If you want a large bull,there are far better choices.Even so, it sounds like nothing more than a lazy guide that simply wanted her tag filled so he would be done guiding early.This is actually not all that uncommon,and as much as you want to trust your guide,it is still the hunters choice whether or not to shoot.
Old 09-21-2006, 01:00 PM
Fork Horn

We are looking at alberta as they have bigger moose.We had done our research I thought.But many of the answers I got wern't really lies they just didn't give the whole answer.most of the fly in hunters at this camp killed nice moose and if we would have known that was the way it worked she would have gone there.If anyone reccomends or has a gripe about moose guides in NF or alberta please let me know as i may have to drop my shirus hunt in Wy next year but I want her to go back if she will.
Old 09-21-2006, 01:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

I live in Alberta myself,but I would go to northern B.C. if I wanted to book a moose hunt.The moose population is much greater and the success ratesare much higherin Northern B.C.