Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Elk hunting ? - carry a side arm or not. >

Elk hunting ? - carry a side arm or not.

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elk hunting ? - carry a side arm or not.

Old 07-27-2006, 03:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Elk hunting ? - carry a side arm or not.

If you are in an area with Griz and Wolves
IF wolves are in the area, it would be good to have sidearm( to initiate you're own local wolf management program) If grizz is a concern, you may be better off using the spray on them. Has anyone on here ever sprayed a bear???? I know several have shot, or shot at, them. From all the info that I've read and heard (a substantial amount), MANY ("experts")recommend the spray as anoverall better deterrent. Definately, it would be lighter to haul around.
Old 07-28-2006, 12:29 PM

Where, exactly, does one purchase a can of "Grizz-G-Gon" pepper spray? The local Walmarts don't seem to stack such items here in the docile flatlands of the Upper Mississippi valley.

-Bugs
Old 07-28-2006, 02:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bugs11

Where, exactly, does one purchase a can of "Grizz-G-Gon" pepper spray? The local Walmarts don't seem to stack such items here in the docile flatlands of the Upper Mississippi valley.

-Bugs

UDAP Magnum Bear Spray with Holster

Cabelas--$50.00---you want to get thebig bottlebottle--

Old 07-28-2006, 03:13 PM
Typical Buck

The rangers at Yellowstone National Park use the pepper spray and if in Griz country again I would carry it. I've tested it a few times and it even looks nasty, make sure you are spraying down wind. I talked with prison guard here in Colorado and he informed me they use it as well. Once he got "a little" under his masked and the description of the effects was something I would not want to experience.
Old 07-28-2006, 08:08 PM

If no bear problems, then no side arm for me. If bear problems, then would probably opt for bear spray instead and try to keep the rifle close. The weight of a side arm, especially one that will do any real good is just too obnoxious. In our main camp we keep a 12 gauge police slug gun hung in the kitchen and I sleep with a 44mag stainless IN my sleeping bag--- don't pack iton the trail or to spike camp though.

Generally, IMHO, elk hunting is acontest between your preparedness, will, and spirit on one sideand cold, weariness, impatience, distraction, energy loss, sleep deprivation, soreness, and pain on the other side.Packing a pistol just seems to hurt more than it's worth---- every ounce counts.
Old 07-28-2006, 11:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I always have a 44 magnum with me now. I hunt wild country with sticks and sometimes will crash out under a tree if I am in the elk. I have my pistol handy if a bear wants to share my food.
Old 07-29-2006, 07:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Though I've hunted several years in western WY where there are grizzlies, thank God we've not encountered any. Hope not to either.

We didn't have pepper spray before. But bought some since the last trip and will likely carry it on me.

However, the last time we hunted on top of a mountain with the wind gusting over 35 mph, I thought in such case it would be pointless to try to use the spray unless the bruin is directly down wind. Otherwise, pray that the .300 WM would do enough to turn him back or stop him.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:36 AM

Just this weekend I pulled my sidearm on a bear on a scouting trip. I will always have one with me.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

The Taurus Ultralite 44 Mag weighs only 26 OZ and loaded with 300-320 grain LBT bullets, is much better than nothing. Thats why I bought mine. Portable Power. The Ruger Alaskan would be another good choice although its heavier.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:20 PM

i hunt elk during rifle season in Colorado. i carry a side arm while hunting, packing out my carcass, in camp, and i have one or two handy while sleeping or relieving myself at night.

in the past i have not carried a side arm, but now i hunt alone more than b4...

do i need one?????????????????? no i do not. i seriously doubt i'll ever need a gun for anything at anytime. but having one handy comforts me to a degree.

early

Quick Reply: Elk hunting ? - carry a side arm or not.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.