Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Elk hunting ? - carry a side arm or not. >

Elk hunting ? - carry a side arm or not.

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elk hunting ? - carry a side arm or not.

Old 07-18-2006, 08:15 AM

Default RE: Elk hunting ? - carry a side arm or not.

I didn't see him and when I woke him up, he was at 15 yards. He immediately went into the full standing position on his back feet. I stupidly charged him and drew my pistol. He turned and ran away.

The year before, I came across a cub. I once again stupidly charged. I never saw the sow. Those sound like famous last words.
Coughbull****coughcough
Old 07-18-2006, 04:08 PM

Why carry the extra weight of a sidearm? I would hope that you already have a high powered weapon with you. If you are in Griz country, you may be required by regulation to at least carry adequate pepper spray.
I don't carry one. Never have. Good thoughts about carryinga handgunwhile packing the meat out though.
Here in Wyoming, you used to get a bear tag WITH your elk tag. PERIOD!
Bottom line . . . put a little adventure in your hunt,cut you a biga switch!
Old 07-19-2006, 07:10 PM
Typical Buck

Always carry year round no matter what. I've read that the pepper spray works well on bears and have seen it used as a deterent on garbage bears. I would feel better as I'm being gnawed on knowing the bear is pumping out the last of his blood from my 41mag. Bears don't bother me the sound of humans in the woods bother me if you know what I'm meaning.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:53 PM
Fork Horn

Look: just transport in a 50 caliber anti aircraft strapped to your quads ; ok??
Old 07-19-2006, 09:04 PM
Typical Buck

not when i have my 06 with me.
Old 07-20-2006, 01:53 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: handloader1

Take the .44 Rem. Mag. Good luck.
Yep! Especially if you're hunting high up!
Old 07-20-2006, 05:39 PM
Fork Horn

If I'm rifle hunting I don't carry one but if I'm hunting Griz country with a bow, I do. Bear Pepper spray is a good idea too. This is the one I'd choose "a .44 mag Ruger Vaquero 5.5" barrel." with some great shells that holds together when blowing through a big, thick skull.

Have a great hunt.
Old 07-20-2006, 05:59 PM
Typical Buck

When Elk hunting I hunt as light as possible for most elk hunting is in nasty, steep country.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:31 PM
Fork Horn

I don't carry my revolver anymore.I did carry a ruger super redhawk in .454 casull.Last year I had too many elk busting me when the wind would swirl.Then it dawned on me there was oils and solvent smell in my cordura holster.I pack a can of bear spray.I always run into lots of bears especially since the huckleberries are ripe then.and also they come into my cow calls.Have ran into a few griz and hope never again.
Elkshed
Old 07-27-2006, 01:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Find out the area your in. If there are only black bears and cougars, your rifle is all you need (assuming you're not hunting with a bow).

If you are in an area with Griz and Wolves, might not be a bad idea. Find out from others in the area what they recommend. Here in Washington I've never worried about it (only blacks and cats) but my Idaho hunt this fall I'm thinking about it (Griz and dogs).

Quick Reply: Elk hunting ? - carry a side arm or not.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.