Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

270 too small?

Old 03-30-2012, 04:05 AM
Typical Buck

Sure it will do the job as well as most of the next cartridges your going to get replies on. I don't see a major difference until you step up to a 338win mag or beyond as far as really putting the hurt on a animal at close range. That becomes a debate of energy displacement on impact then. The ole V vs U factor. Even the buffalo guides will tell you a 444marlin or a 45-70 will put the hurt on bison with a more visual effect of knocking one to the ground more so than a 300win mag or 338 win mag. But the later two have more ft lbs. You may have a moose get into the water or may walk off in the woods but it may just drop right there. But no matter what cartridge you shoot that can happen anyway. I love 270win but it may have more zip than pop at close range for shooting moose but put it in the right spot and it won't matter one bit.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

personally I would want nothing less than a 300mag or maybe 30-06, and would prefer a 338win.mag or 375H&H etc...

I plan to be shooting big slow bullets for moose, in probably the 338 or 375 calibers.

btw aren't moose often in grizzly country? would you want to shoot a grizzly with a 270 or a 375?

what's the minimum required by law?

I forget what it was for my buffalo, I think .27cal/150grs was the minimum.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Since this thread was back in 2006, I'm hoping the guy has made a decision on which caliber and has acted on that desicion. Six years seems like plenty of time to mull it ver, so to speak. LMFAO!
Old 04-14-2012, 06:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by ohoz5897
How will you obtain a man to adore a person? Is there in whatever way that you could help him to determine that you're the main one? What exactly are the men biggest turn-ons? That which you may be surprised to find out is that a lot of your own biggest turn-ons are his as well.
Have you noticed that occasionally the richest and coolest searching men in many cases are real jerks after they open their own jaws? It's pretty easy to see that these men simply are not that confident, and they are using their cash and appears to cover for their insecurities.
The same applies to a few ladies as well - confidence is really a lot more attractive compared to money and appears. When you show a guy that you don't truly care the other individuals think about a person, it is a massive switch on for guys. Why is this? Confident ladies are uncommon in today's singles dating world.
The other side to be assured is the capability to speak the mind and never hesitate. All of us have their own opinions about certain topics, however frequently they maintain their opinions to themselves, they are afraid of becoming viewed as weird or even too opinionated. When your assured you can say what you ought to let them know lengthy as possible additionally support it, this is something that all men discover irresistible.
Yet another turn-on for guys is ladies not scared of being sensual. Men get bored if you play it as well directly and adhere to all of the guidelines. Don't be afraid in order to flirt with your day this displays your own confidence, talk to him with out reservations and you can bet he'll wish to help you stay for themself.
Some of the best turn-ons for men begin as well as end with confidence. When you are aware what you want from existence as well as are not afraid to go for it everything else such as the males will follow.

I'm never afraid to give my opinion. Here's mine for you.

If you're not a bot. You're an idiot.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Muley_Hunter---There sure has been a lot of crap like this BS posted on the Forums lately!
Old 04-14-2012, 12:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

I guess it's hard to keep out.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:48 PM
Fork Horn

Based on the moose I had killed in 2006 when this thread was started I would have said the 270 is plenty of gun for moose, even the big Alaska-Yukon variety. In the last six years, thanks largely to the internet, I have learned that no game whatsoever should be hunted with anything smaller than a 500 Nitro Express. Really, what if you're out squirrel hunting and you get attacked by a rabid Kodiak bear that's wearing body armor the anti-hunters put on it. Is that a risk you're willing to take? Not me. Time to go load up some .408 Cheytac. Spring turkey season is about to start.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:56 PM
Fork Horn

Moose don't take a lot to kill if a good shot is made. Whitetail deer take a lot to kill if a bad shot is made. Over the last 25 years I've killed or been with hunters that killed more moose than my back cares to think about.Three were taken with bow & arrow.I'll try to list them the best I can ,1 with 243, 1-30-30,1-35 rem,1 20 ga slug,1-12 ga slug,1 44 mag. 2- 444,1 -45/70,several? with 30-06, about 6 with 300 win mag, 1 -338 mag.some I'm not sure of but. None went over 50 yrds, most less than 30 and a few were DRT the 30-30, 444,both and the 20 ga all fell on the spot. Does that make them the best moose guns?Or does it mean you make a good shot on a moose with most reasonable calibers the blood trail will be short?
Old 04-15-2012, 12:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yes there is a differance between deer and moose.

If a .270 is all you have, so be it; but it would NOT be my first choice !
Old 04-15-2012, 01:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

A .270 with a 160gr partition should work fine for Moose.

Quick Reply: 270 too small?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.