Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Stand and camo

Old 07-14-2006, 11:02 PM

Default Stand and camo

Last year was my first year hunting elk in Western Washington and even though I came home empty handed I learned a ton. We saw lots of elk the last twodays but I couldn't find a 3 point min. I hunted with my .300 mag, mostly in a tree stand. This is my last year here in Washington state and I decided to go with my bow this year. When I talk to the locals they tell me that tree stands are an "East Coast thing". I guess I am too used to whitetail hunting in Maine and to think that you are going to sneak up on or even ambush a whitetail is hilarious. Is this the same case with elk? Or can I actually sneak up to forty or so yards to a bull and put an arrow in his heart? I think I will go with my gut feeling and use my climber, but what I was wondering is: with it still being "green" in September, should I order a leafy suit in the new "green camo" or just go with a mossy oak break up?
Old 07-16-2006, 05:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Stand and camo

When I went on my elk hunt we were taught to forget everything you've ever learned about whitetail hunting. Hunting elk is more like hunting 800 lb turkeys with noses. Moving and calling and stalking will work on elk and so will a treestand if you have a bull patterned which could be very difficult or you have a watering hole or wallow to set up and your scouting indicates there is a bull frequenting the area/wallow/water. Then your patience of being a treestand hunter might pull it off.

Remember, hunt them like turkeys and forget your whitetail knowledge other than wind directions.
Old 07-16-2006, 07:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

I am not sure about elk hunting but have hunted whitetails a lot of times.
To say that sneaking up on a whitetail is hilarious is just plain crazy. I have shot three whitetails from the ground by stalking. Yes with a bow and I have not found it impossible at all. As I prefer to stalk while hunting
and find it suites me just fine.
Old 07-16-2006, 11:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

HunterFromMain:

I have cousins who are guides, and they haveset uptree standsfor some of their clients with results. Good luck.