Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Shipping Meat Back via airlines >

Shipping Meat Back via airlines

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Shipping Meat Back via airlines

Old 07-14-2006, 06:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shipping Meat Back via airlines

In Sept 2004 I flew from ID to NH after a successfull bowhunt for elk. Here's how I did it:

- pack as much clothes in your bow case as possible. I have a double SKB bow case and can put almost all my clothes in that. Then used a carry on for the rest, for the carry on I used my hunting backpack. That leaves you 1 checked backage slot for the ride home for free.

- Butcher/freeze in 50 lb boxes. When I did this it ended up being 4 50lb boxes of frozed, well almost, meat. and 1 smaller box with about 25 lbs of meat. I left some with the outfitter which left me with about 10 pounds to put into my carry on, wrapped in a sweat shirt, it made it through fine.

- Now my "50" lb boxes were slightly over, so I did some reorganization at the check in counter (no line so the agent actually helped me). I got it down to having 2 boxes that were overweight and 1 weight ok, plus my two checked for free (bow case and 1 box of meat). It was $80/box for extra and another $50 on top of that for the overweight ones. So the 3 "extra" ran me $310. On the way to the airport I stopped at a FedEx and boxed up the rack (no cape or skull, just the split rack) and alot of clothes/boots and shipped that for same week delivery, I think that was around $90.

- One hunter in camp took his frozed meat, cape and rack and overnighted it from ID to MA, cost him almost $900, but in his mind the peace of mind knowing it was home and in the freezer was worth it.

I am going again in 2007 and will probably not try and stay under the 50 lb limit and go with 2-3 coolers that will run around 90lbs, they give you up to 100 lbs. Hopefully that will be 2 "extra" at $130/box and the left over as "free" check in. So for $260.

You can also ship home the bow and clothes, ups, fed ex, usmail etc. to free up some space on the plane.

You can also look into shipping it as cargo. There was one guy in camp who goes around the US and Canada hunting and got his Cargo shipping license for this exact reason. Not sure on the costs/availability, but might be worth looking at, it would probably go on a different plane and you would have to pick it up in a different part of the airport, but worth a call.

Also, ask the outfitter (if you are using one).

Driving is a good option, but adds about 1 week to the trip, so vacation time might be an issue.

--Bob

Old 07-14-2006, 06:40 AM

Our gang always drive with a big trailer with a freezer and generator but last year another friend went to N.M. and tried something totally off the wall. He took a very nice bull while there and to get the meat home, he went to a local hardware store and bought a freezer, asking the store owner if he could ship the freezer back to his home. Owner said he could for a small fee. Had the store owner plug the freezer in and get it cold, then packed all the meat in the freezer, locked the door and shipped the freezer home. I think he paid around $150 shipping, but got his meat home safe and still frozen. He then turned around and sold the freezer for what he paid for it. Great ida if you can get the folks on that end to work with you.
Old 07-14-2006, 09:33 AM
Typical Buck

No matter what, you're gonna spend a few bucks if you bring back your meat via an airline. My theory is, That's how they make the bulk of their money, to make up for cheap airfare at times. I agree with what one guy said about packing his clothes in a bow case and taking the rest in a carry-on backpack. Last year I went to Colorado and I got hammered when I brought back my meat. Probably b/c I had a double rifle case, suitcase, and my cooler with my meat in it. Next time, i'll deffinately pack lighter and probably carry my clothes in a backback with me on board. And in reference to the dry ice, i've heard that the airlines don't allow it for an unknown reason, but most people I knowuse it anyway. Good luck buddy.
Old 07-16-2006, 10:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ship your hunting clothes home in a box using regular ground.Check in one bag being your gun bow or whatever.Get yourself one of the big white coolers from walmart, you should be able to fit almost one whole processed elk in the big white cooler. That would make it so you would have to only pay the overage weight on one check on. It may take a week or so to get your gear at your home, but it will be pretty cheap to ship. The cost to get the meat home would be the price of shipping your gear regular ground UPS, the overage weight on one check on, plus the price of the cooler. And you end up with a heck of a nice beer cooler for the porch when the steaks are on the grill!!!!!
Old 07-16-2006, 04:29 PM

I think I would just drive and tow a trailer...
Old 07-17-2006, 06:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Putting an elk into a single cooler probably won't work, there is a max for the pounds per checked bag, I think its 100lbs, so you probably need 2.
Old 07-20-2006, 12:53 PM

I used whole salmon shipping boxes to bring my meat back on Continental airlines. These boxes are made out of styrofoam and weigh practically nothing. I got some large cardboard boxes that I cut to fit tight around the styro for extra protection. You can tape 3 together and UPS them out before you go. They are so light shipping is almost nothing to get them out there. I got these boxes from a local fish supplier that supplies nicer restaurants with tuna,salmon, lobsters and such. They just throw them away. I had all my clothes in my carry-on, and camera case(large fanny pack) clipped around waist. One box had 96 lbs. of meat, another had 89 lbs. and the third had 70 lbs(cape and meat together).
Break down:
Carry on and camera case-Free
Gun case-----------------Free
Box with 96 lbs.-----------Free + $50.00 overweight charge.
Box with 70 lbs.-----------$80.00 for extra+ $25.00 over 50 lbs.under 70
Box wtih 89 lbs.-----------$80.00 for extra bag + $50.00 over 70 lbs.
Antlers 300 inch 6x6 whole was to be $80.00, but she said I was paying enough and didn't charge me for them.
I paid $285.00 for everything.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:51 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by iloveto4x4innc
I can make it from Raliegh, NC to Salida, CO (2100 miles) in about 22hrs driving traveling with a 5yo and a Lab.
Raleigh to Salida is more like 1,750 miles... 2100 miles in 22 hours is bookin'! haha