Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Shipping meat

Old 09-30-2008, 03:00 PM
Spike

Default Shipping meat

Has anyone ever had processed meat shipped?

I was lucky enough to take a bull in Colorado 2nd week of archery. I made the trip by myself and didn't want to drive 33 hours, so I flew out and back. When I made plans to do so I figured odds are I probably won't get one and if I do I'll deal with it when the time comes. Well here I am. My bull was sent to a processor in Gypsum, I hunted with an outfitter who told me I could have it shipped for $400-$500. I checked overnight rates with UPS and Fedex and assuming I'm looking at 250-300 pounds of meat it could be double that.

Am I expecting more meat than I should be? Will a processor get about 250-300 pounds of meat from a mature bull? Could my outfitter be shipping 2nd day air instead of overnight? If anyone can answer some of these questions I would appreciate your input. Maybe I'll be more prepared next trip.

Thanks, Rob
Old 10-01-2008, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shipping meat

My experience was in 2003, so numbers may vary:

I shot a 4x5, got 220 lbs of meat, I flew it home on the plane with me as excess backage, $320. I mailed the horns (no head or cape, just the rack) and clothes, took I think 4 days, I think it was like $50

Another hunter in camp shot a 5x5 and shipped meat, rack, cape. Overnight from ID to MA: $700

Old 10-01-2008, 09:03 AM
Fork Horn

I am preparing for my Idaho trip in a week and have done some extensive research on the subject. Here are the results-

At a 33 hour drive, I assume you're from the east coast. So am I, so our results should be close.

Bottom line, is you should have checked it as baggage on your airline. I am flying Northwest and they will charge me $50 for every cooler that is under 70 pounds. Once you go over 70lbs, you have to go with UPS/Fedex.

If the meat is frozen and packaged properly, you could probably get away with Fedex Express (3-day guarunteed). That'll run you around 600 bucks for 300 pounds of meat. Overnight is gonna cost you a bundle (double that).

You could look at taking the prime cuts totalling around 100 pounds and donating the rest. 100 pounds of boneless meat will feed a family of four for around a year. Really, it's your choice, but no option is a cheap one. Sorry I couldn't have better news.

Old 10-01-2008, 12:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

with the way airlines are charging things now, i'd check with your airline before going on the above numbers, they match what I ran into in 2003 but who knows now.

As for 100 lbs feeding a family of 4, my 200+ lbs didn't last nearly a year with my family of 4, but two where teenage boys who love elk meat! We ate it multiple times per week.

Old 10-01-2008, 03:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

You still might check directly with the airlines. One of my hobbies is keeping saltwater aquariums and that is by far the best way to ship stuff.

I've always shipped with Southwest Airlines. Per their schedule it is 56 cents per pound to ship from Denver to the East coast. http://www.swacargo.com/cargo/freight.pdf

The only issue is that you have to get someone to drop it off at the airport and you have to go pick it up at the airport. You might have to do some paperwork to be able to ship with them.

Something to look into anyway.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:27 PM
Spike

Thanks for the feedback. That southwestair cargo looks like a nice option I'll have to see if my outfitter would be able to get it to Denver for me, splitting the savings might convince him.

I did here about checking it as luggage as an option, but at the time it seemed like allot of trouble having the meat processed and frozen before my flight, finding a place to buy coolers or something suitable to ship it in, lugging all the meat, my bow and hunting gear through the airport changing planes in Denver a hoping everything makes it with me to my final destination and so on and so on. I'm really not complaining or anything but assuming there are allot of hunters flying in ( I saw a bunch in the airports) that the outfitters and processors would have worked out an easier way.

Next season I'll be driving out, and maybe I'll be lucky enough to have this problem again. Besides I might have a friend or two to share the driving with. Seems like I now know a few wanna be Elk hunters, since it's so easy and everything.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:06 AM
Fork Horn

Bob H-

These numbers are from yesterday. I was making calls and doing my research for my trip and is what I found out. Granted, they now charge you for your checked baggage, but shipping 70 pounds to your destination in one day would cost a lot more than the $50 the airlines will charge.

These are only accurate for Northwest airlines, but I would expect similar results form others.