Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Help with elk??

Old 06-28-2006, 09:08 AM

Default Help with elk??

I am going to Colorado this year to bowhunt for cow elk (units 77&78). I have never hunted anything besides pigs outside of Minnesota. Unfortunately I am not going to be able to visit the area prior to the hunt but will be hunting with people who have hunted it before.

Can you reccomend a good book or video or anything else that would get me up to speed as much as possible about elkor elk hunting or just hunting the west in general? I want to do as much homework as possible to give myself the best chance at a succesful hunt. Any little tips would be great too, and yes, I have started running, alot.

Thanks guys!
Old 06-28-2006, 10:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Help with elk??

Jim Zumbo writes a good book,and so dose Don Laubach(sp).If you are looking for instructional DVD's contact ELKNUT,he has some great calling ones.Eastman outdoors has some good video's.Contact Hunt Flix and see what they have for DIY hunt video's.

My tip for you is get in as good as shape as you can,just a few months away better get crack'in.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:34 PM

You're gonna have a BLAST! The downside is, you may be spoiled for hunting anything else. There are tons of threads here on preparing for an elk hunt. You may also want to visit the fellas over at the bowsite.

First, get is shape. Second, get in BETTER shape! Third, learn how and when to call. Fourth, get some good, lightweight boots (Break them in!) Fifth, learn as much as you can about elk behavior and habitat. Sixth, Get in EVEN BETTER SHAPE! (You see where this is going . . .) Spend a lot of time studying topo maps and sat photos of the areas you will be hunting.

You'll most likely be at high altitude, hiking several very vertical miles per day.

Since you're going after cows, take a look at ElkNut's Bugling Big & Beyond Vol. 3, "Calling All Cows". The rest of his series is excellent as well. I always recommend the Primos "Mastering the Art Guide to Calling Elk" as good introductory material.

HuntFlix currently has nearly 600 titles in our library, with 46 titles just on elk, so there is plenty of material available. Our rental program makes it possible for you to watch dozens of different titles without spending a whole lot of dough, and when you find a gem that is worth adding to your permenant collection, we can help you out there as well.

Wouldn't it just blow your buddies away if you showed up in elk camp and could out call them?

-- FLIX
Old 06-29-2006, 08:30 AM
Banned

Tips from me are to hunt high if the weather is warm. The high altitude will kick us flat landers in the butt. When you get at 11,000 or more be prepared for altitude sickness, headaches, and fatigue. Drink a lot of water and get a good water filtration system for the streams.You should arrive at the area a minimum of one week before the hunt to help get acclimated. Work out on stairs or climbing too. Elk hunting on foot is the most demanding thing I have ever done. A good GPS system is a plus too. If you are packing in go as light as possible.
HCH[/align]
Old 07-01-2006, 03:45 PM
Typical Buck

Google- elk hunting- read it all