Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

I'm stoked fellas.

Old 06-05-2006, 10:42 AM

Default I'm stoked fellas.

I just found out that I drew my first elk tag ever!!!!!!!!

I know for some people that's not that big of a feat, but here in South Dakota, people wait for years to get a tag.

I've been hunting for 26 of my 31 years of my life and the biggest thing I've ever shot was a Mule Deer. This was my 4th year of attempting to draw an Elk tag.

I've got a lot of learning to do between now and October and I know the best advice is going to come from people with experience as opposed to those who are trying to sell something.

So if you've got some basic advice that might help shorten up my learning curve, I would appreciate it.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:22 PM

Default RE: I'm stoked fellas.

Beyond the typical get in really good shape advice my best advice would be to buy ElkNut's videos. They are great! I bought a set and watch them quite a bit. I learn something that I missed with almost each viewing. They are the best "how-to" videos I've ever seen.

I'm sure some others will give you some great advice. there are Somevery knowledgeable folks on here. Just remember if someone posts total bs on here the others will call them out so take everything with a little salt.
Old 06-05-2006, 03:08 PM
Fork Horn

Be prepared ,, for suchsituation awarnesses as this.

Old 06-05-2006, 03:51 PM

Don't really have to much advice to offer on Elk...but good luck and congrats!
Old 06-05-2006, 07:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well I am no expert, but I am no greenhorn either. I have a dozen elk kills under my belt and have helped many friends with theirs. I mostly bow hunt but I also rifle hunt too. For fun last year I posted a elk hunting tips thread on here, I wanted to get the best of the best tips from all involved in this site. Remember the definition of education is the exchange of ideas. With elk hunting this very much applies. Even with a lifetime of elk hunting experience no one person can know it all about elk. Many know a lot but each and every day in the woods can and will be a learning expreience for those who have a open mind. Anyway here is a link to the elk hunting tips. Its mostly archey hunting, but a smart hunter will apply these same tatics during a rifle hunt and will be even more successful. Here is the link and I hope it helps, waring its long. But a lot of good info by knowledgeable hunters. Jason
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1016246&mpage=1
Old 06-05-2006, 08:01 PM

im way more luck than skill; but here's my .02 cents

be in the field/woods as much as ya can (not at camp or in yer truck)

if it's warm hunt the shade

if it's crowded hunt heavy cover that's broken with patchy clearings (not dark timber) but close by dark timber (in and out)

Elk can sneak just like Deer be wary

two outta thethree i shot took off like they weren't hit. hone in on the place they were when ya shot em, and follow the tracks from there.

i only got three in 10 years (mostly luck) on my part, but i hunted fer em fer sure.

early
Old 06-05-2006, 08:49 PM

Before you head afield, I feel like I should warn you about the danger of elk hunting first. IT'S EXTREMELY ADDICTING!
Old 06-05-2006, 08:58 PM

I appreciate the suggestions, and the link, any tips on gear that's essential and commonly bought stuff that you don't need would be great as I'm sure I'll be visiting my local Cabela's many times before Oct.

Thanks again and keep the tips coming.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:46 PM

good boots; i use Danner's good socks too

i gotta packframe, rope, good bone saw, knives, knife sharpener
in case i get lucky

marker tape, GPS (optional)

compass

i don't need glasses where i hunt; but you might

zip- lock baggy fer the liver

flashlight

same stuff ya need fer deer

elk meat is realy good; i take rope and stuff with me.i fielddress it right away. then after retreaving my pack frame from camp the meat goes from skin directly to canvas meat bags fer transport (keep it clean and cool).
i also take a pencil and a little piece a bailing wire to tag the ear/carcass.

early
Old 06-05-2006, 10:00 PM

what area did you draw? i live a few minutes from custer, if you would like some help with you area let me know. i have lived around the black hills for years, worked in lead/deadwood area. i know the hills very well. bull tag? or cow? if you drew the right area, i would say you will be done by 12:00 the first day. good luck!

Quick Reply: I'm stoked fellas.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.