Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 WHAT TO CARRY ON A MOUNTAIN BLACK BEAR HUNT >

WHAT TO CARRY ON A MOUNTAIN BLACK BEAR HUNT

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

WHAT TO CARRY ON A MOUNTAIN BLACK BEAR HUNT

Old 05-22-2006, 11:17 AM

Default WHAT TO CARRY ON A MOUNTAIN BLACK BEAR HUNT

HEY EVERYONE I AM NEW TO THE WHOLE BEAR HUNTING ORDEAL I NEED TO KNOW WHAT ALL I SHOULD CARRY ON MY BEAR HUNT I HAVE COMING UP SOON. ALSO DO YOU THINK THAT A .270 WOULD SURFICE?
Old 05-22-2006, 01:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: WHAT TO CARRY ON A MOUNTAIN BLACK BEAR HUNT

When, where, overbait, guided, solo, duration ?????????

Bobby
Old 05-23-2006, 03:30 AM

OUR BEAR SEASON IS USUALLY LATE OCTOBER, THIS YEAR SEASON BEGINS THE THIRD WEEK OF OCTOBER AND RUNS FOR 15-16 DAYS IN PICKENS COUNTY SOUTH CAROLINA (MAINLY HUNTING NUISANCE BEAR HUNTING) UNFORTUNANTLY IT IS ILLEGAL IN SOUTH CAROLINA TO HUNT ANY GAME ANIMAL IN THAT AREA OVER BAIT... BUT DEER SEASON GOES OUT A DAY OR TWO BEFORE BEAR SEASON COMES IN AND UP THERE, THERE IS NO WAY TO GET EVERY PART OF A DEER OFF OF THE MOUNTAIN. THE HUNTS ARE EITHER GROUP HUNTS AND OR INDIVIDUAL AND THERE ARE NO GUIDES IN SOUTH CAROLINA THAT ARE REALLY WORTH THE MONEY... OUR STILL HUNT SEASON RUNS RIGHT AROUND9 DAYSAND RUNNING SEASON IS APPROX. 6 DAYS. SO IN OTHER WORDS I WILL BE UP THERE FOR ABOUT 12 DAYS FOR SCOUTING AND CAMP SITE CLEAN UP. THE GOOD THING IS I WILL BE ABLE TO DRIVE TO THE BASE CAMP AND I WILL BE TAKING MY 2500 LONG BED AND MY TRAILER FOR THE FOUR-WHEELER WHICH WILL PROBABLY WILL BE LOADED WITH COOLERS AND THE CAMPING GEAR. THE MAIN THING IS CARRYING JUST ENOUGH SUPPLIES FOR 4 PEOPLE AND NOT OVER PACK CAUSE IT IS RIGHT AT AN HOUR TO THE CLOSEST STORE IF WE ABSOLUTLY NEED SOMETHING I.E. FEMININE PRODUCTS FOR MY FIANCEE AND MT HUNTING PARTNERS WIFE.

WOULDA .270 WITH EITHER 130 OR 140 GRAINS BALLISTIC SILVER TIP SURFICE?

LIKE I SAID EARLIER ANY AND ALL HELP WOULD BE MUCHLY APPRECIATED.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

A .270 will be plenty for black bear. They recommend larger for grizzlies, brown bear, etc, but for the black bear in SC, .270 will do the job very well.I am sure someone on the planet will tell you you need a .458 Win. Mag. foranything bigger than a deer, but in reality a .270 will do the job on just about everything in the lower 48.
Old 05-23-2006, 08:12 PM
Fork Horn

With a 270, I wouldn't use ballistic silvertips and fool around with a bear an hour from the nearest hospital.

Better safe, than sorry. I'd recommend 150 gr Nosler Partition and bust both his shoulders and take out his heart.

You want to put him down fast!

Good luck.

Old 05-24-2006, 06:26 AM
Banned

I would carrry my Hoyt Trykon for the bear and my Ruger Alaskan .480 for two legged vermin. If I was Rifle hunting I would carry .270 minimum all the way up to whatever you want or have. You can't overkill a bear and they have tough shoulders. Taxidermists can sew also.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:07 AM

WELL AFTER TOTALING MY HONDA I LOST MY BOW TO THE IMPACT I HAVEN'T BEEN ABLE TO SHOOT AS WELL WITH MY BOW AS I ONCE DID AND ALSO THE BOW IS NOW IN SEVERAL PIECES. I BELIEVE THAT SINCE ALL OF THESE ANIMALS WILL BE WITHIN 200 YARDS OF MY BLIND, THE .270 WOULD SURFICE.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:59 PM
Typical Buck

i hunt the wnc mountians for bear every year and just use a 30-30 with 150 softpoints and have never had a bear go very far when hit a 270 will be fine when hunting in the mountians try to find a location where two ridges come together and look for signs along the ridges in these areas 9 out of 10 times you will find where they cross and just set up in the area another good way to go would just stalk the valleys (hollars around here) and keep a good eye up these crazy things like to walk about about half way up and along the slope good luck
Old 06-17-2006, 01:17 AM

The .270 Winchester is fine for black bear. I would however recommend a tougher bullet than the ballistic silvertip though. The Barnes tsx bullets come to mind. If they don't shoot well with your rifle try the Winchester fail safes. If that yields no results, then I would go to the Nosler partition.