Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

elk antlers?

Old 03-21-2006, 09:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default elk antlers?

i know a guy here in PA that has a farm...he fenced it in and raises elk....they have fields and woods...nothing huge or free roaming...hes just growing them to sell them for hunts or something like that....anyways...i went by the other day to look at them(i dont get to see elk too often....only about 800-1000 wild ones here and i havent made it out that way to see them yet...) so the first time i seen them was probably the first time i seen elk......but i was under the assumption that in the winter(i was there 2 weeks ago) that they loose their antlers like our deer...one had a full rack.....another was in velvet!.....odd i think? whats the cause? maybe because they arent wild? i dont know.....figured id ask.....i dont know the guys personally...my mom works with a lady who knows him....the elk roam HER land actually....she let him fence it in since she doesnt farm it...i wanted to know what he did with the shed antlers..if anything at all.....and maybe be allowed to have one.....or if he doesnt use them for anything(im sure he does) go find them ALL lol....i think a big ole elk shed on the wall would look awesome....and i want a knife handle made from antler someday....the fall when i first seen them there were ALOT of BIG bulls...last time a few weeks ago i only seen those 2 bulls.....the rest were all in the woods away from the road and i couldnt see them....but they are back by the road now i heard...just wondering when....or why the elk didnt drop....and why the one was in velvet unless im blind or mistaken
Old 03-21-2006, 09:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: elk antlers?

Elk usually loose their antlers about February and begin growing them again immediately. It wouldn't be all that uncommon to see one still have a rack on his head in mid March although he is a little late at loosing them. This one will likely shed his velver late also.

I bet if you went back tomorow he would have dropped them by now.

The other one has it timed about right.
Old 03-21-2006, 09:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

I saw several bulls still wearing antlers last week.I have seen elk with antlers as late as the end of march.
Old 03-22-2006, 06:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have seen bulls with horns into april already while turkey hunting on the april 15th opener. The elk ranchers will cut off the horns of the inferior bulls before the rut comes on in the fall. And as far as velvet, It was probably last years that didn't rub, unless of course it was new velvet poppoing out. I don't know what the horn market is bringing, but fresh horns a couple of years ago were bringing 14.00 a pound. He probably sells the horns.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

thanx guys.....i guess they are probably a little behind our deer...but sometimesour deer keep their antlers late too....the one in velvet stumps me......it was a smaller bull...and it was shedding the velvet when i seen it....ill drive by next time im out that way....neat just to see them.....i figured he probably sold the antlers.....he is in it for the money....and some are ready to be hunted he just hasnt found anyone with enough land to release them to be hunted or whatever he wants to do...thanx guys i was just wondering
Old 03-22-2006, 11:53 AM

still packing horns here in wa. state
big bulls are just starting to drop, followed later by the smaller ones.